The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 111
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 111
Unless Im missing something, what would keep me from welding up a gas tank to fit between the two rear crossmembers and mount it up from underneath. If I keep the depth the same as the original I could reuse sending unit, and with just the 235 6 up front I don't belive I would need a intank pump. Has any body built there own tank? any pros or cons?

thanks

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
if yer talkin about a TF truck, what yer missing is a tank the same dimension as the one behind the seat would be dragging on the ground grin

in order to have the stock fuel pump be able to pull the fuel the bottom of the tank needs to be about level with the pump, or slightly higher

do some searches, folks have talked about tanks they've built or adapted, and also about the lack of a compelling reason to go to the trouble and expense .... the stock tank works fine

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
My '56 has a PO installed homemade tank between the rear frame rails. It holds about 16 gallons and weighs about 16 tons. I've had no problems with it except balancing it on a jack to get it back up after changing the sending unit. I used a 30 ohm universal unit from a hot rod shop.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 111
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 111
cletis

Just wondering about fuel pump, did you add an electric or just continue to utilize the engine driven pump? Did you weld up this tank and if so what gauge metal?

thanks

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
It was in the truck when I bought it so I have no idea of the gauge but it is heavy. It uses the mechanical pump.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
I agree with TooMany2Count. I installed a 25 gallon suburban steel tank from J.C. Whitney just behind the rear axle of my '59 Apache Fleetside. It fits between the frame rails. It was pretty easy to run three straps up to bolt to the rails. I didn't have to use an electric fuel pump. The mechanical pump will suck fuel from the rear. It really beats putting bales of hay in the back for traction.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
out of curiousity, what year suburban tank did you use? ive got a 55 2nd series pickup and am contemplating moving the tank, or taking the lazy man's route and leaving it behind the seat. thanks.

clark

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
I believe (don't hold me to this) my rear fuel tank is a J.C. Whitney P/N ZX862180N 25 gallon steel unit. See:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...2B1984%2B600002073&c atalogId=10101

My front fuel tank is the original stock 16.5 gallon unit that I removed from behind the seat and re-installed at the very front of the Fleetline bed. I removed the original filler/cap, filled in the hole, and re-installed the cap/filler at the driver's side front of the bed. This setup gives me over 40 gallons of fuel capacity and weight over the rear wheels.

Hope this info helps.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
Following this thread brought up a question for me. What is the advantage of relocating the gas tank?

Is is safety, convenience, size of tank, or some other reason I can't think of?

I always wondered about any issues of sitting on your gas tank. I figure, if it goes while I'm driving it, I probably wouldn't know anyway ....


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Personally I do not think I want to ride on dynamite or have it strapped behind me. Plus you have the smell and other issues.

I bought a 16 gallon racining tank from summit and it installed very easy between my back rails on the 59.

popcorn The Truth is Out There (Lets build them for fun but lets make them safer.) Pops

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I'd question the "increased safety" of taking the tank out of the cab, where it's in the center of the truck in an area that's likely to be the last place to get penetrated or crushed, and putting it right at the back where it's exposed to damage in the rear enders that are so common on the road - if the in-cab gets hit, you'll be gone at least seconds before it ruptures .... got side air bags?

everybody cites safety as the reason for moving it, but I don't recall seeing any reports of in-cab tanks exploding under any circumstances

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
dgallagher,

I have built several gas tanks. The last on was formed at a sheetmetal shop out of 14 gauge black. Anything heavier in gauge gets you a tank like Cletis noted...VERY heavy.

I wouldn't build one if there were a factory tank available. The commercially built tank would be lighter, leak free, well baffled, and I will bet cheaper in the long run.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
I guess that's why I asked the question in the first place. We have most of the state of Arizona going to bladder tanks in the Crown Vic police cruisers due to some pretty horrible rear end collisions.

I know there is an obvious Ford joke in here, but an exploding car is really no joke in real life.


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
My reasons? 1. CAB/LEG ROOM 2. NO FUEL SMELL IN CAB 3. WEIGHT OVER DRIVE WHEELS 4. ROOM FOR BATTERIES BEHIND SEAT 5. EXTRA CRUISING RANGE

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
1. additional leg room about 2", unless the seat hits the batteries grin actually the seat back nearly hits the back of the cab even with the tank in
2. no smell if the system is in proper good shape, ya think GM woulda sold many of these things new if they stunk of gas?
3. rear tank puts weight behind the wheels, affecting the steering - in the cab it keeps the right front/rear ratio when carrying a load, it is a truck after all
4. batterie[s]? ... need extra w/ a corvette engine?
5. nice to stretch yer legs every 2-300 miles and take a leak grin of course a vette engine may drink more eek

I vote for using the time to have fun or do more important jobs, and spend the money more usefully, and I see too much of this kinda wreck nowadays ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
Good reasons to keep mine where it is. I don't smell the gas, I smell more coming through my firewall. I'm only 5-4 so a short seat is great for me to reach the pedal.

Without the split-bench in my new truck I'd be pinning knees to the dash just so I can reach the clutch.

As much as I get time to drive mine much these days, I am hard pressed to use all the fuel before I have to pump it out.


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I think all batteries will off-gas as they are charged..even maintenance free ones. That wouldn't be a good thing to have in your enclosed cab would it. eek

Stuart

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
My 53 3/4 had its origional tank mounts under the tray between the tail shaft and chassis rail. Due to i didn't pick it up the removed tank when i picked the truck out of the field, i made a new one out of LPG tank and put it the same place. The people who built these trucks would of had our safety in mind.
Brendon

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
We all have to live with our choices, don't we? I'm happy with mine.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0