The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rusted Nut, 55shaker, Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I've got this over in electrical but taint heard a toot from anyone, thought I'd try it here.
I've got a ’50, 3604 that has one of those old style horns. Since I had it off to clean behind it and straighten the bracket, I figured I’d go ahead and pull it apart and do the rebuild on it also. Two problems surfaced as soon as I took the cover off.
1.There is a capacitor across the points just as there is in the distributor, to keep the points from arcing. Capacitors have a fairly short shelf life, inexpensive paper caps are the worst. So, I’m sure that the cap is bad. This is a really inexpensive cap cheaply made without an outer shell. Problem? What is the value? To big it burns one side of the points, to small it buns the other.
2.The second thing that I noticed is that when the armature is against the pole it should be opening the points, but it taint! Has anyone ever seen a gap setting for the horn points??
While I’m waiting for that answer, that I know will come, I’ll blast and paint the shell.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 44
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 44
Just how much ya plannin' to use that horn? Capacitors don't cost a lot, so why not buy a few, observe the arching with one then another, and adjust from there.


Hello, Welcome to America
press '1' for English
Puess '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
I read your post on electrical hoping to get some info on my "horn" posting. It looks like I need to take mine apart as well so it may be on my bench tmro AM. My restoration reference guy just told me to get a voltage reducer. There may be more to the issue. I'll let you know if I discover anything that could help you.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Denny,

Here is a previous post stating the value of the capacitor as .56 mfd. This is good because I have not done this yet.

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002168#000000

Fred


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0