| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,209 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 11 | This may or may not be a problem. Im sure someone can help me. The right side door latch,(the part that connects the inside door handle to the door latch),does not match the contour of the door. By this I mean the rod connecting the two.It seems,to me,the rod would interfear with the door panel. However, the left side sets into a grove into the door so it does'nt hit the door panel. I got 4 extra doors with this truck, and the other right side door is the same. Could someone have swapt the right side mechanism with the left? Man... Im not good at explaning stuf. anyway thanks for the help. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | I believe I know just what you're talking about because I had the same situation on my '48.
The connecting rod doesn't follow the contour of the door (that long channel), although common sense would tell you it should. You'd have to install the mechanism upside down for it to follow that channel in the door, but then you wouldn't have a hole for the third bolt. Have I got it right?
I have two books that illustrate this mechanism. The first is a factory piece entitled "Servicing Chevrolet Truck Cabs (1947-1948)" In it is presnted several pictures showing the connecting rod in that channel, with the connecting rod coming off the bottom of the mounting plate. (The connecting plate is shaped like a pyramid.) The mounting plate has the pyramid connecting hole in the proper orientation to make the connection this way. However, as we both know, our mechanisms have the connecting rod coming off the TOP of the mechnism, at the point where the top bolt is on that pyramid.
My other source is the "1947-1954 Truck Factory Assembly Manual." In it, (Section 1, Sheets 1.05 and 1.06), the illustrations clearly show the same mechanisms we have - with the connecting rod coming off the TOP of the pyramid and descending slightly downward to the latch. The connecting rod crosses over the channel about midway across the door.
I'm assuming that GM originally had a design for the connecting rod mechanism that went through the channel, then changed things after they printed the "Servicing Chevrolet Truck Cabs" booklet, but before the trucks went into production.
Does this clarify things for you? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 11 | Thanks: TOM R, This is exactly what I needed to know.I think I'll install the mechanism by factory specks, with the connecting rod off center. AS long as the rod does not interfer with the door panel its not a problem. And if it does I know I can always turn it around. Thanks again, TOM R & everyone at STOVEBOLT. | | |
| |
| |