| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,297 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 | Looking at a '54, 3100, 235, 4-spd Hydra-matic. How many of these were made?
More later, Buddy | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | At least one  just joking. Sounds like a good project. Hope you have a good garage with a good heater. Folks tell me it gets cold up there. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I have been told that there were no production number breakdowns as far as trans options but the Hydramatic was first in Chevy in 54. GMC got it in 53. In 55 1st series they went to open driveline. Parts are pretty rare and if it is anything that can be saved, You really ought to jump on it. I installed HydraMatic driveline in my 54 and that is the way it should have always been in my opinion. Chev linkage is different from GMC. Many other items are different on HydraMatic trucks designed around trans access and removal from bottom of truck as well as solenoid start. I f you choose not to get it, Let us know. I am sure someone else would be interested in it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | I have a 1954 GMC 100 pickup with Hydramatic trans. and have just recently picked up another 1954 chassis. They are completely different, don't understand how so much difference in the same (?) truck. Each one has 248 engine with Hydramatic, the engine and trans are very similar but the frames are a lot different, e-brake system completely not the same, rear springs and mounts real different, too. I don't think I'll be able to use many parts off this chassis unless I change a lot of stuff. Anybody know why so many parts are not the same? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | The crossmembers are heavier due to heavy trans. They are also designed to unbolt so trans can be removed from bottom of truck. Brake line routing is different for same reason. Cab and trans cover different for bellhousing bolt access and trans dipstick access. I thought the e-brakes were the same. GMC and Chev linkages are different as well as steering columns and shifters. Carbs different as Hydra has auto choke and starters different for solenoid start instead of foot stompers. I am betting I have missed something but that is what comes to mind. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 466 | Passed it up for now. Building my shop and just can't put money into another (needs to be built) project. It is a good deal though. '54 1/2 ton short bed, normal rusted areas. 235 is out and has been rebuilt along with starter and generator and shrink wrapped for 18 months. We took off the wrap and it looks like a new motor. Tranny was cleaned, rebuilt and set up. It has also been sitting and has the rust dust on the exterior. Also a '54 parts truck (3800 long bed) with the deal, good/fair fenders, doors (1950), hood and new windshield, rusted out floor. $4K for all sounds fair to me. Maybe at the end of summer I'll call again.
Buddy | | |
| |
| |