The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Ship those parts off to Patrick. He's pretty good and won't do you wrong. Truckernix described the method I was thinking about, just didn't say it right. I'd recommend using either diesel or kerosene to flush, they have some lubrication in them. Bolt the oil pan back on and tow the old gal home. I think this fix is going to cost far more in labor than parts.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
Chiphead, if you do get it going with decent oil pressure, it won't be anything you can depend on. It probably won't last long either. You know it's got to be torn down. I feel for ya. Mike

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
I am wondering if the oil pump lockdown-bolt was not drilled correctly(improper length from bolt hole to the dist. end of the pump). I see no way for the distributor(shaft & gear) to move down into the pump.Was there a spacer with the mini HEI distributor that was suppose to go between the block and the flange on the dist?(where it fits in the hole in the block)
Doing the flush on the engine MAY be ok,but I do not have my eyes there to see the bearings and the crank journals to determine how much damage was done.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Not "hell", things have just gotten really interesting. wink Mine went ka-flooey in ten minutes.

Persevere.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Mech, When I called Tom, we had a long discussion about the dimensions of the oil pump and HEI distributor shaft. All of the dimensions were correct except for the recess in the top of the pump, mine is about .050" deeper than the one Tom was measuring. We did not check the dimension between pump surface and bottom of drive tang slot. The spacer gasket between dist and block was present, the pointy bolt was correctly installed, the distributor was clamped down properly.

Engine failure analysis is difficult, its hard to parse out the cause-effect relationships in something like this. Would the metal removed from the oil pump be enough by itself to eat all the bearings? Was the oil pressure failure caused by a sticking relief valve, or a wiped bearing? I find it hard to believe that the engine bearings failed from improper clearances or dirt introduced during assembly. I plan on talking to the shop that did the machine work, and see if they have any insight.

If I flush the engine with diesel, will the diesel keep the internal parts from rusting until I replace the oil pump & parts?

Here is my plan so far: Get the car home & put up on jackstands. Flush the engine with diesel and clean it out. Plastigauge the main bearings and check the cam. Check the plastigauge results with what the clearances were during assembly. Replace pump, pickup and distributor gear. Run engine and change oil a few times. If the oil pressure holds, great! If not, the next part I'll buy for the car will say "for sale".

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I left the oil pan off quite a while after flushing with diesel and noticed no rust at all. And it rained.

According to my shop manual you can't plastigauge with the engine in the car.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Really? I figured I could wipe the oil off the journal & get some fairly accurate measurements. I plan on checking the #3 thrust main next, as it tends to take the most abuse and show the most wear. If it looks good, I'll feel much better about flushing & saving this build.

Anybody take a look at those pics? Whaddaya think? Did the gear chew the pump, or am I imagining things?

thanks yet again....
chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Chip,
there is a procedure for using plastigage on the mains, with the engine in place. What you have to do is use a jack to push up on the crankshaft slightly to take the weight off the bearings. This is mentioned in either the GMC or the Chev manual. I don't think that there is going to be a change in clearance that soon, unless there is visible obvious damage.

I had a look at your pictures and they are nice and clear. However, I don't understand where all the damage is. Are there chipped teeth in the photos, or what? If the gear is damaged, you will need to look at the cam gear too.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Look at the close shot of the top of the oil pump. Does that recess look like the bottom of the gear chewed into it? Also look at the close shot of the distributor gear. Examine the shiny face of the gear tooth. Does that look badly damaged?


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Boing!

Got new melling pump in from NAPA. The top of it has 'no' recess like the pictures I posted above. Its totally flat except for the hole that the distributor shaft goes into. What is a Melling M45 pump supposed to look like?

Can I swap the dist gear from an old stock 235 distributor onto the shaft of the HEI unit?

thankx yet again
chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
That's what you pump should look like before the distributer grinds it up. The stock 235 distributer shaft is .490 diameter as is the 230-292 shafts,measure yours.Check the installed gear position against a stock points distributer.That HEI may still be suspect, check the fit out from all angles.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
I'm coming in late on this saga but I would definintely agree with Tony that your distributor is still suspect! Don't just swap out the gear without comparing the whole thing to another unit.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
I got under the car last night and poked around for several hours. The main bearings show fine scratches from metal, but are otherwise OK. Crank journals are not scored or blue. Crank endplay is fine.

Cam lobes & bearings look OK. It was very hard to examine the dist drive gear on the cam, being upside down under a car and all. It looks like the drive faces on the gear teeth have taken some abuse, but I don't know how severe it is. Do I have to pull the cam whenever gear wear is suspected?

I mocked up the pump and distributor and examined how it fit together. It seems that the distributor may be at fault, even though it seems to have the same critical dimensions as the stock distributor.

I may be dealing with a complex issue, where distributor shaft end-play, combined with the block dimension of dist mount to oil pump mount caused this. Why else would this dist work in a '54 engine, and cause a problem in a '60 engine?

Also, does the oil pump body supply any lateral support to the distributor shaft? The stock shaft fits snug in the oil pump, where the HEI shaft only contacts the pump at the drive tang.

ideas? observations? insults? grin

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Chip, the block supports the distributer. By any chance, did you or the machinist remove the the block mounted bracket that supports the oil pump? . Either run a stock type distributer or remove locating flange on that mini HEI.Then use a clamping system similar to stock.No chance of the distributer being forced into the oil pump by the hold down clamp.I used to modify quite a few 250 style HEI's for use on 235/261's.A hold down similar to the stock one never caused a problem.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Talked to Patrick today. He told me to talk to TomL about his mini HEI. TomL and I went over all of the critical dimensions of the mini HEI, and all of them were in spec. So TomL says its a fault of the oil pump or engine block.

TomL says the top of the pump takes the dist gear thrust, and that if there was a problem it was due to the oil pump allowing the dist gear to fall below the centerline of the camshaft gear. Then the camshaft gear forced the dist shaft into the pump harder than normal.

Both Patrick and Tom questioned me about the oil pump mount, and if it had ever been removed. AFAIK, it has not been tampered with. Both agree that if the oil pump mount is ever removed, the block is ruined. The factory installed a rough casting there, then broke off the bolt heads on purpose. Then a special boring machine would line-bore the block and oil pump mount holes true. The after the deburr operations, the block and oil pump mount are mated forevermore.

One thing TomL mentioned is to check the alignment of the oil pump mount by using a new oil pump and my existing HEI dist with bad gear still installed. Put some prussian blue or layout red on the bottom of the gear and install in engine. Rotate motor while pushing down on rotor to assure contact between gear and pump body. Remove distributor and examine the top of oil pump for even contact between gear and pump. This will show if the block or pump body is somehow out of line.

TomL seems to think that a new pump and dist gear will get her running again, as long as there is .010"-.050" installed endplay between dist shaft and pump casting, and dist gear centerline stays above cam centerline.

This is so weird. Can anybody make sense of this?

chip :confused:


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I can tell you that on my 51 216, the oil pump does not take up end thrust from the distributor. In fact I doubt that the oil pump is made to take that.

Is there any chance that the zero oil pressure reading caused you to find an existing unrelated problem?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Quote
Originally posted by chiphead:


This is so weird. Can anybody make sense of this?

chip :confused:
Not really....

However, I'm one of those guys that real mechanics hate!

eek grin

It sounds like you've probably saved the engine from destruction, so I would figure out some way to shim that distributor up very slightly to give you some clearance. If you don't have any more grinding metal you might be lucky this time. So far this whole thing doesn't make sense to me....

:confused:

Was this engine running before you rebuilt and upgraded everything?


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
I bought this engine for parts in the early '90s. The engine was bone stock, covered in crud but would run. I took it apart to cannabalize it for parts. All the sheetmetal got lost except for valvecover. Oilpump, pickup, distributor-gone. My dad threatened to throw the block away, so I had it at college as a TV stand. So all I had was the bare block when I needed a new 235 last year. Lucky, I still had the '60 block.

So I rebuilt it completely, reused my '54 head & crankshaft. All other parts are new, even the rods are reconditioned. I did the initial break-in Dec 1, 2002. It runs 150 miles, then the oil pump pops the weasel superbowl sunday.

Should have left this engine under my 19" Zenith. :mad:

What do I do now? Change the dist gear? Change the dist? Pull the cam? Give up?

If I had known this thing was going to be such a malfunction junction, I would have torched this I6 crap out and used my Poncho 400 w/TH400 tranny. frown

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
We might have to start a "Save Chip's 235" parts fund for ya. lol. Have you been over to http://www.inliners.org

I joined when I got my 235. Maybe someone has seen a similar problem.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Give up? Hell no - fight back! You've got 3000+ folks here dying to find out what the problem is. Get in there and start measuring and ciphering. You'll win.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 154
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Z Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 154
Hey Chip seems I have the same set up as you 60' 235 with melling pump, Tom's HEI, Patrick's M4F cam, dual rochesters, Fenton's, full presure oil filter etc. Last week I primed system with drill in pump. Before doing so I pulled dist and checked what I could, found that dist set up about 3/16" before droping into pump slot and seating in block. No wiring so I used jumpers and a hot wire, went right off. Good pressure, sounded good, smoke smelled great (inspiration). Could only run several minutes as no radiator mounted yet. It does juice yah up to get cranking and get it done, but long way to go. I'm watching this post to see if I need to make any changes. Zeke


The Amish Connection
51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Hey Zeke,

After you do the initial cam break-in, pull the distributor and check the gear for wear, and look at the top of the oil pump for contact or wear. Let me know what you find.

thanks
chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
I don't know much about the later 235's but there are some differences beteween a 54 and a 60. Don't the 54's still use shims on the mains and could there be a difference in distributors,cams or cranks?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Cam, cranks & distributors are supposed to be the same. The '54 and '60 engines did use a different oil pump, but I think the differances are in the cover plate. Don't know if there are any dimensional differances at the top of the pump.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Quote
Originally posted by chiphead:


What do I do now? Change the dist gear? Change the dist? Pull the cam? Give up?

chip
Nope. Never give up. Never let a hunk of metal beat ya! You hafta learn to outsmart them....

grin


Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0