| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,416 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#20685 01/30/2002 1:04 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 | I am always seeing, in parts magazines and online stores, nameplates for truck heaters showing chevrolet or gmc. The heater in my 51 says Arvin I think. Some of the letters are broken. Is this a factory heater or dealer add-on or aftermarket? I have never seen this name listed when looking thru the parts books or online. It works great and looks like it came that way originally. I would like to get a new nameplate for it if there is one out there. If you know a place to look I would appreciate it. thanks! slowgoer
54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | |
#20686 01/30/2002 1:50 AM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 |  solo, arvin was a company in columbus, indiana which madeauto parts and began making auto radios in 1933. they also made radios for sears which were sold under the silvertone brand name. they're probably the company that made the heater in your truck. good luck, jacques
Union, Justice and Confidence
| | |
#20687 01/30/2002 3:51 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | Yeah probably is an Arvin. There use to be alot of aftermarket heaters available for cars and trucks. Many old Chevy trucks came without heater, they were extra cost then. If it works I'd keep it.  | | |
#20688 01/30/2002 4:09 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 111 | I was talking to a friend of mine a good while back when he was looking at my truck. He hadn't noticed the heater yet but he asked if it happened to have an Arvin heater. I told him that it actually did have an Arvin. He said he remembered back in the fifties when he was riding a school bus he would sit near the front and he always saw the name Arvin on the heaters and for some reason he still remembers it. I wonder if Chevrolet used Arvin as a supplier for a while? Could it be a factory unit. I still would like to find a nameplate for it. 
54 Chevy 5 window - 46 Chevy 1/2 ton
| | |
#20689 01/30/2002 4:16 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | As far as I know Chevy had their own heaters in recirculating and also a fresh air heater. The recirculating heater was a smaller unit with a round core in it, the fan was a blade type and blowed air through the core. It didn't draw outside air in. The fresh air heater was a larger unit and bolted up to the inner cowl to draw air through the vent on the side of the cowl. It used a rectangular core and a squirrel cage fan to draw air through the core.  | | |
#20690 01/30/2002 8:58 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 194 | I have an Arvin heater in one of my 52 GMC's. I am pretty sure it was a dealer installed item. The other 52 has a GMC recirculating heater.
afu | | |
| |
| |