The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, Stovebolt48, Gray_Ghost), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,319
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20031 07/17/2004 12:24 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
Have built a 400/400 and mounted in frame. Need to hook-up fuel line and battery to crank. Too much money to miss any particulars. The engine is bored .030 with new pistons and rings. Rods are re-conditioned with new rod bolts. Every thing is balanced with mild cam that should lope a little and using 1800 to 2200 stall converter.
Heads are re-worked with all new valves and stronger springs. New oil pump (naturally) and primed before installing. Spent about two weeks on assembly and checked clearances with plasti-guage and checking ring gaps. Correct torque on every bolt and valve lifter/cam lube applied very generously. Spun pump with drill untill all rockers started oiling. Put repair sleeve on vibration damper to aid front seal. Adjusted all valves and topped it off with a new Edelbrock highrise with 600 cfm carb (I know the carb is a tad small but I'm not trying to set any records). I'm using stock electronic ignition at the present time and may go to a racing brand later. What I would like to get some feedback on is, what spark plug would be best for best performance with this engine? I have a set of R45TS but I can use them in a 305 that I am building stock if there is a better plug out there. Appreciate any info or suggestions.

Truck Tinker

#20032 07/17/2004 12:56 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
The only better plug that's worth considering is the commercial version of that plug, the CR45TS. It's designed for delivery trucks, etc., and has a larger electrode and ground. The 45 heat range might be a little hot if you're going to do much highway driving. We use 43's in the race engines, so a 44 might be a good compromise. The higher the number, the hotter the heat range, on an AC plug. Don't get tempted to throw away good money on "Platinum", or some other gimmick-type plug! It's hard to get better than the original-equipment plug for any engine. We used to change plugs every week on the roundtrack engines. When we switched to the commercial plugs, it's every 3rd. or 4th. race night, with no noticeable loss of performance.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#20033 07/17/2004 1:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
Thanks, Hotrod. I remember what you said about the platnum plugs and I had the same thought. I think I will go to the 44 plug. Like I said, I can use the 45s if the 305.

Truck Tinker


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0