| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,398 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 | I just put the CPP disc brake conversion kit (5 3/4" bolt pattern) on my 49 3100 1/2 ton truck. If anybody has done this conversion, what size rims and tires did you use? Thanks in advance
Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I used the Chevy Duty kit, which may be slightly different. I used 15x8 wheels and some wide radial tires.
You say the pattern is 5 3/4". I think you meant 5 x 4-3/4 which is the common Chevy car pattern from the 50's up until front drive.
There is a second GM pattern used on some larger Chevy cars which is 5 x 5 like a '72 to '87 1/2-ton pickup.
You can probably use almost any 5 x 4-3/4 wheel. Which one is best depends on what you want to achive.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 | You are correct about the 5 X 4 3/4" pattern. I was interested in the (minimum) rim size that would clear the calipers. Cpp said caliper size was for the medium size GM (77 camaro). Rotor size was 71-79 camaro. Thanks in advance.
Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I'm sure a 14" wheel will fit a Camaro rotor.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 | A stock 14" 74 nova rim with front disc brakes fits. A stock 14" 74 nova rim with front drum brakes will not fit. Got these rims from a buddy for reference. Thanks OldSub.
Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 254 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 254 | if its the 5 x 4 3/4 you can also use rims of S10 pickups blazers jimmys and sonomas also my 1985 Olds Toronado (front wheel drive) had 5 x 4 3/4 rims i used the steel rims of the toro and put them on my 90 S10 blazer the aluminum rims look to nice on my very rusty S10 Nate | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | 15'' jeep 6 lug rims work I have 11' rotors and disc's on my 51 3100 w/ stock hubcaps http://www.speedprint.com/Deves50/hubcapclips.php
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Your rims have to be made for disc brakes. The older rims will not clear the piston housing. Chevy made the change in 71 on pickups, and went to a 5 bolt pattern. I would go with either a 15 or 16" rim.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
| |
| |