The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, Shaffer's1950, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195173 12/10/2005 1:50 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
I just put the CPP disc brake conversion kit (5 3/4" bolt pattern) on my 49 3100 1/2 ton truck. If anybody has done this conversion, what size rims and tires did you use? Thanks in advance


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
#195174 12/10/2005 6:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I used the Chevy Duty kit, which may be slightly different. I used 15x8 wheels and some wide radial tires.

You say the pattern is 5 3/4". I think you meant 5 x 4-3/4 which is the common Chevy car pattern from the 50's up until front drive.

There is a second GM pattern used on some larger Chevy cars which is 5 x 5 like a '72 to '87 1/2-ton pickup.

You can probably use almost any 5 x 4-3/4 wheel. Which one is best depends on what you want to achive.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#195175 12/11/2005 4:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
You are correct about the 5 X 4 3/4" pattern. I was interested in the (minimum) rim size that would clear the calipers. Cpp said caliper size was for the medium size GM (77 camaro). Rotor size was 71-79 camaro. Thanks in advance.


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
#195176 12/12/2005 1:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'm sure a 14" wheel will fit a Camaro rotor.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#195177 12/12/2005 12:38 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 311
A stock 14" 74 nova rim with front disc brakes fits. A stock 14" 74 nova rim with front drum brakes will not fit. Got these rims from a buddy for reference.
Thanks OldSub.


Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
#195178 12/12/2005 8:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
if its the 5 x 4 3/4 you can also use rims of S10 pickups blazers jimmys and sonomas also my 1985 Olds Toronado (front wheel drive) had 5 x 4 3/4 rims i used the steel rims of the toro and put them on my 90 S10 blazer the aluminum rims look to nice on my very rusty S10
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/
#195179 12/15/2005 1:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
15'' jeep 6 lug rims work
I have 11' rotors and disc's on my 51 3100 w/ stock hubcaps

http://www.speedprint.com/Deves50/hubcapclips.php


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#195180 12/16/2005 4:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Your rims have to be made for disc brakes. The older rims will not clear the piston housing. Chevy made the change in 71 on pickups, and went to a 5 bolt pattern. I would go with either a 15 or 16" rim.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0