| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Bill Trotter, mick53, GIJOE298, Mike'sPlace, Otto Skorzeny, Hush, 1 invisible),
77
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,288 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#19460 12/18/2001 6:10 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 36 Member | | Member Joined: May 2001 Posts: 36 | Does anyone know what years that 216/235 Chevy waterpumps can be re-built. I have seen old rebuild kits for mid to late 1940's but wondered how far into the 1950's the pumps could be rebuilt with a kit. I've seen lots of early 1950's water pumps with the access screws on the back, SO is rebuilding success a matter of sealed bearings, new impellers, or what? Thanks-in-Advance and check out this other forum for more info : VCCA FORUM | | |
#19461 12/18/2001 10:16 PM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 71 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2001 Posts: 71 | I got a rebuild kit for my 1950 216 from Chevy Duty, I think. The problem is that the casting had some pitting in the area where the seal rides, which caused leaking through the weep hole. This is in spite of smoothing the surface of the casting as much as I could. Anyway I pulled it off yesterday and ordered a rebuilt pump from CarQuest for $40. By the way, I ruined one casting by pressing the wrong way. You press everything out from the impeller side, not from the shaft side. | | |
#19462 12/18/2001 10:35 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | To rebuild them right you have to be able to ream & sleeve the shaft hole. pknauth is right on that. With the cost of a rebuild being so low, I don't waste my time, and I do have the facilities to do the job.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#19463 12/20/2001 5:00 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 71 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2001 Posts: 71 | Picked up the rebuilt today and to my surprise they hadn't even ground off the original GM part number. Sprayed some engine gray on it, bolted it in, and I'm back in business. | | |
#19464 12/21/2001 5:56 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Lil' Johnny,
Pretty much any cast-iron water pump can be re-built, as long as the casting is OK, regardless of year.
It's more an issue of feasabilty for the jobber; I've gotten some rebuilt pumps for '60s vintage stuff, and they haven't even asked for my old core!
Depending on the application, some pumps are available on an exchange basis (Chevys), others have to be shipped out and re-done (like my '48 Chrysler straight-8).
Now this is going back about 12 years, but I needed a water pump for my '41 Chevy Dump truck, and actually got a rebuilt unit from a local jobber ( I beleive the rebuilder was A-1 Cardone ). I've also gotten water pumps for old stuff from folks who carry Airtex pumps.Check your local auto suppliers.
Rebuilding does require an arbor press, so if you're not so blessed, you'd be better to get a rebuilt unit or have some re-do yours.
Frank
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
| |
| |