The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jack Ryan, Otto Skorzeny, WICruiser, TUTS 59), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
I can't get my harmonic balancer off of my 49 216. I've used a harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller and the only thing i've accomplished is breaking a bolt off in the pulley. i think i can get what's left of that bolt out through the back side. Anyhow, what can i do to get it off? I'm lost. I'm pretty sure of how it SHOULD come off... but it's just not happening.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 50
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 50
Get the broken bolt out and use grade 8 bolts for the puller, or whatever hardened bolts you can find at your local jobber that will fit. If it still doesn't move try heating it with a propane torch, might destroy the balancer but it'll be off anyway. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I have a 54 with just a pressed on HB with no retaining bolt. Mine practically fell off, and that's a whole 'nuther problem!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
This might seem silly, but are you sure you are using the puller correctly. Mine has a flat side and a side with a bulge in the center. Anyone would think I would have sense enough to know that the head of the bolt should go against the flat side, but I didn't and broke several bolts before I came to my senses. Once I did that the balancer came right off.Allen

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Start by soaking the crank snout a day or two with a good penetrating oil. Kroil, PBblaster are two of the best and usually available locally. You can probably get the bolt out with a left hand drill bit.

When you're ready to try again, use anti-sieze on the bolt and balancer threads. If you break another bolt, the anti-sieze will make it easier to remove. And the balancer threads will load more uniformly. Use grade 8 bolts, be sure they are screwed in evenly so the load is distributed. If you have a strong U.S. made puller, use an impact wrench. If no impact, smack the end of the puller with a 3 lb. hammer when it is down tight.

As stated, use heat only if you have to. Too much will cook the rubber inside the dampner. There's a fine line as to how much heat is too much.

I've been using a good puller since high school, seems like it's 100 years old. wink With grade 8 bolts, I haven't broken any bolts, but did pull the threads out on one. Went to a bigger bolt and it came right off. But now I have probably jinxed myself. eek


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
When we pulled the HB off my 235 it took a lot of pressure on the puller, but it finally came loose with a loud bang. They are a press fit and take a bit of coaxing.


See my 1940 Canadian GMC:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndnchf
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Fred's right, use a good puller and make sure that you tighten the puller evenly, put some strain on the balancer and then give it a smack with a hammer, should come right off.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
thanks guys.... wish me luck i'm heading to the garage now to give it a better try.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
When I took the balancer off my 261 the treads in the balancer were no good, so I put the bolts all the way through the balancer and placed flat washers and a nuts on the back side and then I was able to remove the HB with my puller.


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
got it completed, thanks..... now how do i get that plastic gear off the camshaft and set the camshaft free?....

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
The gear is a press fit. If you're just replacing the timing gears you'll have to have the old one removed and the new one installed with a press. I bought a new cam, gear set and thrust bearing and I had the machine shop that I used to rebuild my motor install them for me.


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0