Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,337 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 42 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 42 | I read with interest the recent thread about tires for 3/4 tonners, as I have a similar question but for a 1/2 ton. My "new" '59 3200 Fleetside has the regular 6-lug hubs. It also has modern aluminum wheels with 225mm tires on it now (great for building muscles, not so great for my bad shoulder).
In the interest of looking "right" and of reducing steering effort, I'm going to put stock sized stuff back on there. I figured on 6.50 x 16 tires. I have a couple of questions for the collective as a result.
1) Wheels: It looks like the wheels will be easy to find, as they were used forever - as long as I get the "early" ones with the hubcap clips. Is that all correct?
2) Tires: It looks like there's a passenger-car reproduction radial at Coker, and then there's a bias ply tire by Denman/Tornel. Are there any other contenders I should look at? Will I regret it if I get the bias plys?
3) Sizing: I'll be doing light hauling, and city driving, with the occasional highway jaunt. Weather where I live is predominantly dry or wet, not much snow. Any reason to get anything other than 6.5 x 16?
Thanks for the info, folks. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | 1 - 15's are actually correct for yours, tho' 16's were optional for higher GVW rating - the only thing you'll find w/ the hubcap clips already on is 55-59, tho the later wheels can have the clips added [I think they were drilled there till the 70's] - lots of later truck 6bolt wheels fit, and will take 'period correct' caps - I've got later 15's on my 58 3200 2 - get tires at yer local dealer rather than the spendy things sold for 'vintage vehicles' - I got some Yokohama 7.00x15LT radials and love'em, tho being 10ply they ride a little hard w/ no load - good profile and footprint appropriate for the 50's as well as being safe - yes, you'll regret bias plys, and there's no reason to use'em unless you're into show quality resto 3 - 6.5x16? ya mean 6.50? ya won't find 6.50 other than in the 'vintage' bias ply, and the driving you're doing, the radials are much better, tho the car size wide footprint are hard on the steering gear [and harder to steer, especially as they age], so look for narrower, which the trucks were designed for and actually are safer on the wet and snow the 700x15's I found are the closest thing to the original height and width, but only available in an LT and stiff - in the end it's what feels good to you, but I like that these tires feel like power steering and will prolly last longer than someone my age  others are more interested in a car-like ride Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 | Red58 is right on the money with his tire advice. I've got bias whitewalls on my sub, and they squeal in turns and just don't feel right. If you don't want wide whitewalls, there is no reason to spend the big bucks for the ones for "vintage" autos. Go with the radials and be safe. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 166 | red58, how much were your Yokohama 7.00x15LT radials? My local dealer quoted me $150.00 each special order. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Charles, I think I paid something like that incl mount and balance, but don't recall exactly - seems about 800 CDN, which would be about 650 US - they were spec order here too, cuz nobody wants narrow 'truck tires' on modern trucks so they don't bother to stock'em, even tho' they're actually safer on wet roads
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 42 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 42 | Thanks for all the great advice. I will give some of the local tire places a few calls and see what develops!
I especially appreciate the advice on bias ply vs. radials. "100% period correct restoration" is definitely not what I'm going for, though I admit I do like the way those old tires look. I'm going for more of a "stock looking driver with some safety updates" approach.
In other news, I got my primered rear bumper on today, with the license plate bracket, and it looks pretty nice. The bumper isn't totally straight, but (see above) it's fine by me! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Let me add a few words from the other side. Radials do not always improve handling on the older trucks. They can make the rear end of the truck move around, especially on the highway. The also are a lot harder to steer, due to the increased load path of the tire. If you don't usually exceed 60 mph, you should be happy with bias-plys on your truck.
As was said, locate a good dealer in your area. Usually one that does a lot of commercial truck work will be able to help you. I'm running 7.00-15 8 plys on the front of my 52 3/4 ton, my dealer has them in stock, they're made in Mexico.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
| |