The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (BC59), 148 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 33
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 33
I asked the owner of a 1954 Chevrolet Truck for sale on Ebay the following Question And I like to know if this is true.

You asked:
"Good morning, just wondering about your statement that 200 trucks had the automatic transmission in 1954, makes it really unique. Were can I find that to substantiate. Nice Truck
His answer:
Hello. Merry Christmas The previous owner gave me the information and also people that own simmilar trucks have confirm the info. Thank you R

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Dutch,I could not find that figure on the hydramatics.In 1954 Chevy made 170,824 units under 5000 lbs GVW,and 64,599 between 5000,lbs and 10,000 lbs.Seeing as this was thw first year for automatics in trucks I would think that very few were sold.Most people buying trucks back then were using them for work,and most people did not think the auto.was very strong.I bought a book a few years ago that has given me a lot of info on Chevy trucks.It is Chevrolet Pickups 1946-1972 by John Gunnell.A lot of good info.Should be available on Amazon or local book stores.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
The transmission was known as a model 200 hydramatic; perhaps they confused the model number with the production number?


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
Didn't most of the Hydramatics go into the GMC trucks? I do't remember ever seeing an early Chevy with an auto trans, but I've seen several GMC's with that setup, both V-8 and 6-cylinder models.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
The hydra-matic used in the 1/2 tons was a 180 type hydra-matic,the larger trucks got the 200-54 type,up to 1 ton.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Wow, so even more rare. Only 180 made...


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Dutch,
I have a 55 1st series 3100 with the hydra-matic 4-speed. The option number was R.P.O. 314. I'd like to find out all the build numbers on my truck but there is no one spot for tall the info. I just had to rebuild a couple of linkage pieces (lucky they are forged steel) and now it shifts really well. My transmission expert (an antique himself) says the transmissions are pretty near bullet proof and if serviced will last 100K miles easily.


cgresham1212
If you don't drive it, why have it?
55 1st Series 3100 5 window

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0