The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, TUTS 59, Gdads51, TooMany2count, 2 invisible), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,348
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16824 06/07/2004 5:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27
So, I've finally gotten my '38 to the point where it's driveable. Oil pressure is about 10 on the gauge when I start it, and drops to 5 or so (maybe a bit below) when hot, driving.

What's considered "normal" oil pressure for this 216 engine ? What's too low ?

Thanks to all the experts out there !

Alex Meade

#16825 06/07/2004 8:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
thats ok. factory spec was 14psi @2000 RPM. The 216 doesn't need a lot of pressure, just volumn.

#16826 06/08/2004 12:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Don't use anything heavier than 40 weight, the dippers need good flow to be able to lube the rod bearings. SAE 20 was original spec in most climates with 30 for warm and 10 for cold.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#16827 06/08/2004 8:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
10-15 is normal, I would be concerned about the 5 psi. The oil is pressure fed through the cam bearings to the valve train, while the crank depends on a splash system. Usually the low pressure is the result of worn cam bearings.

I would check the oil flow to the valve train. warm up the engine, then remove the valve cover. Oil is fed via a tube into the rocker shaft to the valves. If there is oil flowing to the valve train, I would continue running the engine, but watch the pressure.

When I had a 216 in my truck, I had problems with oil leaks and some consumption with SAE 30 oil. Switched to 20W-50, and reduced both.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#16828 06/08/2004 9:41 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 150
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 150
I'm a bit confused, so forgive me if I'm asking a goofy question. I've got a 216 in my '50 3100 and my oil pressure gauge reads from 0 to 60, with the needle resting on 30 (middle) after it's warm and been running for a while. You stated it should read between 10 and 14?!? Little help (explanation), please. Thanks.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0