The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, tclederman, R&S 51 GMC, Wayne67vert), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167845 03/18/2005 2:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I'd like to hear from Stock Suspension, Daily Drivers, or those who put alot of milage on their AD trucks...

-How do you like the sway bar? Please give examples.

-Anyone have a rear sway bar as well?

Remember, stock suspensions only, no offense to the pacer-mustang bunch.

Thanks, Cosmo.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


#167846 03/18/2005 3:28 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
sure would like to put a sway bar on the rear of my 54, but haven't seen any around..truck feels like it's gonna turn over when taking a tight curve at speed..anyone have help with this?

#167847 03/18/2005 4:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Don't take tight turns at speed . . . grin

(Doctor, it hurts when I do this, Doc sez "Don't do that")

All the major vendors carry them for the half ton trucks, Shoop. No drillin' required. The panels had antiroll bars from the factory and all the frames will accomodate them.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
#167848 03/18/2005 11:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Cosmo,

I do not drive my trucks faster than 60 mph (at least on turns that might benefit from a sway bar).

I think that all 1/2 Advance Design Panels and Suburbans had the front "stabilizer" (sway bar). AS you have most likely seen in previous threads on this topics, there were two styles of Advance Design sway bars.

It looks like the Canopy Express and the 3800 (1 ton) Panel did not have stock sway bars.

I notice a slight improvement in turns in my Suburban in comparison to my Pickup (both 1954 1/2 ton with new springs, bearings, and comparable play in the steering). However, I have no noticeable problems in turns/curves when my Suburban is fully loaded (8 adults).

The 1/2 ton truck axle's dimensions are different from the larger trucks - maybe someone has tried the stock front stabilizer or the after-market front stabilzer on trucks larger than 1/2 ton.

Tim

#167849 03/19/2005 3:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
My sway bar just arrived from patricks on friday,for my 51,3100. I will be installing it next week .let you know how it goes.old navy 51.......................

#167850 03/19/2005 4:02 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
thanks for the info..seen front sway bars at LMC, but it just seems like i need one in the rear...maybe new shocks would help..when i mentioned speed, i only meant about 30mph on an entrance ramp...leans a little too much to be comfortable...

#167851 03/19/2005 5:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I have a pretty tight 180 degree on-ramp that I would like to hold a little more speed going onto the interstate. I have a stock cam 2 bbl, fentons set-up that really does the job getting up to speed, just would like my body a little tighter.

I actually bought a front sway bar off of a van a few years back and sold it for quick money without ever installing it on my '49 1/2 ton. I am lucky in that I can drive my truck year 'round, in fact it is my only vehicle.

Thanks for all the replys, good fortune in your projects, regards, Cosmo.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


#167852 03/21/2005 12:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Cosmo, Hi Joy here. You know I have a front sway bar on my 51, don't you? Did you ever drive my truck? I like it. Tony thinks it helped a lot.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0