The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I have my seat cover in hand along with freshly painted seat frame and springs. I bought foam to replace the padding. I need advice on the best way to trim the foam so the seat will look right.
When the back and bottom are in the frame the back just touches the top of the bottom springs.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Steve

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
R
RT1 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
First, you should put some burlap material on the springs then the foam. This should keep the seat springs from riding into the foam.

Got an old electric carving knife, they work great for foam...

Upholstery shops also have rolls of cotton batting, sometimes this works good if you are having problems with the seat cover fitting properly. If you roll it out over the foam, before installing cover it will fill in the corners nicely.

Just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

RT1
** smile

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
Thanks for the advice. I hope to get the cover on this weekend.
Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The current issue of Custom Classic Trucks or Classic Trucks has an article on this. I get the impression that the upholstery world would not exist without hog rings!!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
For the purists: hog rings were not used on 1954 seats. Little curved clips hold the material into grooves in the seat frame (Jim Carter sells the clips). Of course, most upholstery shops and restorers would now use hog rings (faster and easier).

RT1 gives good advice about using burlap, cotton-batting, and foam. I only used burlap, batting, and felt padding (as in the original) and I can still feel the springs (if I redo my seats, I will add another layer of felt and a layer of foam). I am fairly certain there is enough space/material to cover over these layers.

Tim

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I have been trying to find the clips. The some of the old ones were rusted I cleaned and painted the rest. I found a shop that had used ones and he gave me a few. One of them had a small curl on the edge. After practicing with a sample piece of
material I found that the original clip cut the material. So I am trying to find more of the odd one that I have. I am not after a show truck but trying to do it right.
Thanks
Steve

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I didn't have any Burlap so I used a piece of carpeting that I had laying around. Also the clips that I got for an automotive trim supplier also cut the cover but there are enough of them that I am not worried about the cover ripping out.

Good luck


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Brian,

Burlap and felt padding (plus cotton batting) did not do a good job of "hiding" the springs on my seats. I think the use of carpet in place of the burlap is a good idea.

hourhand,

Jim Carter's clips for the '54 has the curved edges and I only ripped the material twice when covering 10 seat cushions on a Suburban (I would not use the v-shaped clips).

Tim

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
Thanks Guys. I found some clips with curves locally. Got the seat cover on Saturday and it turned out well. Yes the clips cut the material a time or two but there is enough to keep it in place.

Thanks Again
Steve


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0