I've been out of town for work this week so I figured I'd bring some work with me to keep my evenings interesting in the hotel. Might be pointless, but I modeled this part in case I wanted to machine a die to stamp a new one.
Daniel - Just curious (I know it can get a guy in trouble - lol), but did you omit the two large circular notches towards the rear corners of the outer flange on purpose?
Otherwise everything in your rendering looks "spot-on"!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
To the best of my knowledge, those aren't original. Pictures online of this exact part are really difficult to find but they haven't had them. I also only have this one with the handful of extra parts that I own. The holes are also not on the parts book drawing in the attached picture. Like most things, I guess when I start putting it together it should be pretty apparent haha.
I will post some photos of my parts later tonight. I have two examples with the cut outs...a little different, but they are present.
I don't know if this response is helpful to what you are doing, but I have two of those parts that came with my FrankenProject. My cab, grill and fenders are 1940 Chevrolet, and the part you are making looks to be mostly the same as the parts I have.
The first two photos are of a part that came with my project, and the second two show a part from a second source and the part that it was screwed to when I received - still showing with the primer paint outline showing the location of those cut out areas relative to where it mounts.
Last edited by Nick in Manitou; 08/02/20263:56 AM. Reason: Add photos and text about them
Nick 1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project (with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame) Taos, New Mexico
Smallish update. I sent my hood ornament off to Vern Toedtli in Vancouver WA and he did a tremendous job on the chrome. I should also get my upper moulding back next week. Im going to send my grill next since its a little more expensive to restore.
Daniel, in your first photographs of the rusty part, what are those circles randomly placed on it?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto, you're going to have to be more specific. Which picture in what post?
FYI, I contacted Vern Toedtli after seeing the pics of the grille pieces. He said he only does grille restorations and has his neighbor Pacific Northwest Plating do the chrome work. Looks like a quality job both on the restoration and chrome. Pacific NW plating is probably the closest shop to me now, as one that Homer52 used in Seattle no longer does chrome.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Dang! I just realized this thread is 13 pages long.
Top of this page, Picture #3.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 10/10/20269:23 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
13 pages? I'm only showing 4 pages, but it depends on your settings as to how many post per page.
But I'm assuming you mean this picture.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Otto - Those are modeling reference points for doing CAD (Computer Aided Design) files to use as the base for machining stamping dies to recreate the stamped panel from sheet stock.
Basically creating a computer file that replicates the original piece dimensions into a 3-D model using the reference target points.
PS - I may have not used the correct terminology for what I described, but I think you get the basics of what it means. Daniel, Kevin or someone else more knowledgeable of the process can clear up anything I didn't get exactly right.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)