I have the 2004 Colorado rear end bolted up to my 54 (53 frame). It doesn't appear that the very long parking brake cables are the best option for this truck. The 54 / 53 cables seem more practical, but it doesn't appear that they can bolt to the Colorado backing plate. Recommendations requested.
Any way to shorten the "very long" cables? That would seem to be easier than modifying the Colorado backing plate to accept 54 cables, especially if the cable attachment is different inside of the backing plate.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
If you have the ends on a stock cable, you might be able to drill them out, insert the shortened "very long" cable ends into them and have a hydraulic shop crimp the ends on. I believe they're threaded on one end for the clevis and a tube on the other end that's crimped to the cable. You also need a way to secure the cable sleeve to the bracket on the frame. I assume you're using the original cross-shaft and levers for the parking brake (pic)
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I had the same issue with the Camaro rear end in my '54. I used the Camaro cables, cut them down with a stop swagged onto them. I bought the stops and rented the swagging tool from the local sailboat supply shop. A piece of rectangular tubing was used to adapt the clevis to the brake cables.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.