I am a new big bolt owner and new to the forum. I have a 2 ton 6400 that I need to rebuild the steering on. I am having a hard time finding the center link tie rod, does anyone have a source for these? I saw the upgraded HD rods on some of the websites but they are for 1/2-3/4 ton models.
Going to presume your "6400" is an AD Series truck, but it would help to know the specific year as it sometimes can make a difference on parts. A quick check of a 1929-57 Chevy Master Parts Book shows the tie rod ends for your 6400 should be:
Left - GM# 609747 (Modern replacements listed as ES142L amongst other part numbers)
Right - GM# 609748 (Modern replacements listed as ES142R amongst other part numbers)
A quick web search shows many NOS Left and Right Tie Rod End assemblies available at various price points. Here's just 2 reasonably priced NOS units that I found being advertised on eBay:
The new replacements are more expensive, but haven't sat on a shelf for decades and have the rubber boots that are almost always missing from the NOS GM pieces.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Welcome Jman, if I understand your question correctly, you are looking for the main section of the tie rod, we can also assume you would need the tie rod ends. Certainly the info for your particular truck will help us to help you when searching for parts. Gdads51 probably can give you a part number for the tie rod and that should be useful in locating an aftermarket or original part.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Buckshot - Thanks for catching what I clearly missed in my first response -
Jman - Here's more info on the center "tie rod" (not including the tie rod ends) and the "clamps" that are needed with appropriate bolts and nuts to secure the tie rod ends to the center tie rod bar.
Chevy Parts Group 6.230 - Rod, Front Axle Tie GM# 3683223 47-1/2" overall length, 1" - 16 thds Right Hand and Left Hand (female ends) *
* Also listed in GMC Master Parts Books as Group 1.0400
Chevy Parts Group 6.234 - Clamp, Tie Rod End GM# 3681858 (requires 2 each)** / ***
** The Chevy Master Parts Books do not list the bolt and nut info that are needed for the clamps, nor does an early 1950 GMC Master Parts Books list them.
*** A later GMC Master Parts Book list the hardware as Bolt - 7/16 - 20 X 2 with a corresponding 7/16 - 20 nut.
You can see the Chevy and GMC truck models/years that these pieces were used on in the screenshots below. Added in case you need to seek a donor truck for the parts.
I did do a quick web search and found nothing being offered for the main tie rod, but did find One NOS GM# 3681858 Clamp being offered.
Hope this helps you get what you need for rebuilding your 6400 steering.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Jman - One more potential find for you on tie rod ends. Here's an NORS ES142 Set of tie rod ends that will fit your truck for a very reasonable asking price if that's what you need.
Come back and let us know how things turn out.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Guys, thank you so much for the information. I did not have alerts setup for posts, so I’m sorry for ghosting you for so long.
It is a 1951. I purchased it from a rat rod builder, so it is complete except for the front axle and steering wheel which is what he wanted for his project.
I found a complete axle with steering column at a salvage yard. The downside is it was half way below the ground level for many decades, probably a poor choice on my part but that’s another story.
I was able to find a NOS new axle, but looking for steering parts to be able to drive it around the farm.
That axel is going to need a lot of love to get it cleaned up. Finding a better candidate might be easier.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I know Selling is not allowed in the tech forums, but it looks like you need a doner truck. I have a complete 5 window 48 that needs to be gone and have the ways and means to get it to you. It will be scrap value price plus round trip fuel and a overnight in some cheap hotel. Do a couple more posts and we can talk on PM’s.
Don
Last edited by 2-Ton; 10/08/202610:45 PM.
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!