The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1612242 09/29/2026 9:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
This is listed as lower splash shield #8 in pic. Can anyone tell me where this goes? I did have this piece when truck was disassembled.
Attachments
IMG_9559 (2).jpeg (12.33 KB, 118 downloads)


53 chevy 3100
IHPWR #1612244 09/29/2026 10:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
That piece is several pieces (5) fits in front of the rad cradle


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
IHPWR #1612246 09/29/2026 11:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
My truck is a 54 .I found this picture online and highlighted were it goes
Attachments
IMG_7218.jpeg (121.09 KB, 114 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
IHPWR #1612312 10/01/2026 12:00 AM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 363
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 363
This is how I am putting mine so far.
Attachments
Splash panel.jpg (268.67 KB, 81 downloads)

IHPWR #1612480 10/03/2026 12:49 PM
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
1955, think we are talking about different pieces. I have the bumper filler, the demo pic is somewhat confusing. I'm wondering about the piece that is listed second from the top in pic. Kinda like a bat wing shape.


53 chevy 3100
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
IHPWR - It's called the "lower splash shield" by LMC in their web ad. The Chevy Master Parts Books call it the "lower baffle". Fits behind the grille along bottom of front fenders and directly in front/below the radiator support.

Below is an exploded view of the AD series Big Bolt truck showing the "lower baffle", which is the same design as the 1/2 to 1 Ton design, just a larger part for the bigger trucks The parts book shows they do not share the same part number.
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
I don't think that's the right part, either.

Your part, Dan is number seven in IHPWR's picture. He's asking about part number eight.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Otto - Recheck the Master Parts Book extract I posted. Both item part numbers marked with an arrow are the "lower baffle" aka "lower splash panel" he's looking for and are not "number seven" in his picture. The description is clearly indicated on both arrow marked items in the center description column as "lwr". The same parts group "1.286", list both "lwr" and "upr" (aka Upper) baffles (aka splash panels) by separate part numbers in that listing.

Below is a screenshot from another fellows truck showing the lower baffle (splash shield) installed across the lower front fenders and just in front of the radiator support. The two upper "batwings" IHPWR mentioned actual get bolted to the sides of the radiator support, sandwiched with the vertical lower side splash panels that also bolt to the fenders.
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
He's trying to identify #8, not #7. So you're saying number 8, the part he's trying to figure out, is actually part of number 7?

I still don't see the part he's trying to identify in the picture of the blue and white truck or in the exploded view you posted.

In the picture of the blue and white truck, is part #8 underneath the part that's circled in red and not visible?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,930
The part circled in red is part # 8. You just can’t see the two protruding brackets that get bolted to the radiator support and adjacent panels.

Yes, both #’s 7 & 8 are listed under the same parts group in the Master Parts Books.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
IHPWR #1612525 10/03/2026 10:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
ok, I have #7 in pic and it is bolted to underside of grill. So is #8 not used on the 3100 trucks??


53 chevy 3100
IHPWR #1612529 10/03/2026 10:54 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
You and I are on the same page, IHPWR. That's what I've been trying to figure out as well. I crawled under my truck to see if there was any part even vaguely resembling #8 and didn't see one. I thought maybe it was hidden out of view when assembled.

Didn't you say you had that part when you disassembled the truck?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by Gdads51
The part circled in red is part # 8. You just can’t see the two protruding brackets that get bolted to the radiator support and adjacent panels.

Yes, both #’s 7 & 8 are listed under the same parts group in the Master Parts Books.

Neither IHPWR nor I are picking up what you're laying down.

In the diagram OP posted, #7 is clearly identifiable and can't be confused with any other part, especially #8. Is there any picture anywhere of #8 installed on a truck where it can be clearly identified without part #7 in the way?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
IHPWR #1612533 10/03/2026 11:21 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
Part number 7 is the inner splash shield for chev trucks 53 and older .part number 8 is what I have on my 54 .To answer Otto’s question if you have part number 7 you don’t have a part number 8 and the other pieces that attach to it .I could be wrong but number 8 may be for 54 and early 55 only.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
Part number 7 is the inner splash shield for chev trucks 53 and older .part number 8 is what I have on my 54 .To answer Otto’s question if you have part number 7 you don’t have a part number 8 and the other pieces that attach to it .I could be wrong but number 8 may be for 54 and early 55 only.

Hallelujah!

Thank you Kevinski!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
IHPWR #1612535 10/03/2026 11:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,318
So the diagram was from lmc truck and. Number 8 lists for gmc 1947 to 1955 number 7 is for chev trucks 1947 to 1953 . I do think the number 8 would also fit the 1954/55 chev trucks as there is not a listing but someone would have to confirm that
Attachments
IMG_7221.png (445.13 KB, 14 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
IHPWR #1612536 10/03/2026 11:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
Good job, Kevin. This has no bearing on me or my truck at all but it was driving me crazy.

Next question is how OP seemingly had both #7 and #8 installed on his truck.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 26
ok, nice catch on LMC site. I do not have both pieces installed on truck. I do now see the #8 is GMC part, not chevy.


53 chevy 3100

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0