| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,211 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2011 Posts: 189 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2011 Posts: 189 | Wasn't sure where to ask this, I was wondering if the hub cap clips for the AD trucks inparticular are made from spring steel or a special steel that helps keep there shape over time. Just curious, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,886 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,886 | Tom - All the descriptions I've checked for the 1/2 ton truck repop hub cap spring clips indicate they are made from "spring steel", the same as the original pieces (read that in basically every ad description from all our usual vendors). The big problem for 3/4 and 1 ton truck owners being only the shorter 1/2 ton truck clips are being reproduced/offered.  Wheel hub cap spring clips for the AD 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are taller than the 1/2 ton pieces and are currently in the "unobtanium" category, unless you can scavange some from old/unusable 3/4 or 1 ton wheels. Fellow 'Bolter "tesa" has an ad in the Truck Parts Wanted forum that has some related information if your interested.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: May 2011 Posts: 189 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2011 Posts: 189 | Thanks Dan for the information, I assumed that was the case. I have both a 1950 1 ton and a 1946 3/4 ton with both having this bigger clip. For the 3/4 ton, on the 5 wheels I have, I'm only missing one clip, so I'm going to try the following. The thickness of these clips appears to be about 16 gauge, the shaping does not seem to complicated, so I am going to bend one up (may use 14 gauge). Once installed on the rim, I figured I could mount the hubcap in place by first hooking it on this clip and then let the other 3 original clips do their thing and hold the cap in place. I will try both 16 gauge and 14 gauge for the clip and see how it goes, the 14 gauge will be stiffer and should act more like the original spring steel clip. The clip I make won't be visible when behind the hubcap, so who going to know it's homemade. Let you know if it works.
Thanks, Tom | | |
| |
| |