| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
191
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 | 1956 Chevy 3100 pickup with 235 straight six engine:
I did a search because I thought I saw somewhere on Stovebolt that when switching to an alternator it affects the original gauge and something has to be changed. I just can't find where I saw it. What does need to be changed, if any, on the hookup to the original gauge? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | Nothing has to be changed. I have had a 65 Amp 1 wire alternator on my 56 truck for over 25 years, both with the 235 and with the V8 conversion. Never had an issue. It's possible that the reference was for an AD vehicle which was 6 volt. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 | Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know. Sets my mind at ease. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,802 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,802 | Right. 12v is 12v. Gauges don't care what's giving them their 12v of juice.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2025 Posts: 45 | Otto, you are right and I kinda figured that. I was more concerned with the increased amperage of the Alt vs Gen causing damage to the gauge, not having a working knowledge of how it works. Thanks for the info and the followup. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | This discussion was beaten to death several years ago. Some people are concerned that the increased current capacity of the alternator VS a generator could overload the ammeter, creating a possible fire hazard. The ammeter does have a tendency to go full scale for a short time right after startup. There is a way to install a shunt that bypasses the ammeter and turns it into a charge/no charge indicator. If you'd like to drop me a PM, I can explain the process without opening up another can of worms on the open forum. The primary instigator of that heated controversy hasn't posted here in a few years, but in the interest of maintaining peace and harmony, it might be the better part of valor to take this topic to PM. It's an easy fix, BTW! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |