Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,413 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 | Anyone out there have photos of examples of modern wheels modified w/ hubcap clips like these to attach the dog dish hubcaps for their AD pickup? I'm investigating modern wheel options but would like to keep the look and dimensions of the original wheel/tire setup intact to whatever degree possible. Any ideas will be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think for the 1/2 Ton, you can buy new wheels that will take hubcaps. It may be that you have to use the new hubcaps too, I am not sure. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 581 | Here's a link to Smokey Culver's tech article on that subject - Smokey's hub cap tech | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 | Denny - that's exactly what I'm looking for! Great example, thank you! Truckernix - I've seen the repro wheels, they're a bit pricey for me... Laroke - thanks for the link to the Tech Tip; I'm familiar with it, so now I'm most interested in seeing other examples of this type of modification in action. Cheers, Nick | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 | Any other examples out there in photographs? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 378 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 378 | If you need to do something on your truck you can just about bet that someone on "Stovebolt" has already done it or knows how to do it. What a great bunch of guy and gals. You can't even buy magazines that compare to this site. I really enjoy it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Steel 1/2" dia round stock, 3/8" tall, drill with a #9 clearance drill for a #10-32 screw to attach them. I used a Whitney Jr. hole punch to punch the holes in the tempered steel clips aquired from one of the vendors. This was for the 3600 hub caps, if you have a 3100 they may be different. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/26/2011 2:59 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 | Denny, Sounds like 3/8" is the height that worked for you. And hopefully it'll get me close. But you had to put holes in the clips you got from vendors? I had bought a few from Jim Carter Truck Parts to try and they are shorter. The hub caps that I'm using are 55-56 Chevy 3600. Problem now is I need 16-20 of them for 4 wheels. Maybe I could find something like steel spacers from Granger or Mcmaster-carr type supply house? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 27 | Denny, I can't open your highlighted links you had sent out. They say forbidden when I clicked on them. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 | Denny, I can't open your highlighted links you had sent out. They say forbidden when I clicked on them. Denny's photos are 15 years old and probably aren't supported any longer. Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,956 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,956 | tesa - Check out the links in my post to Denny's album. As mentioned in my reply to your Truck Parts Wanted ad, most of his links in this old thread don't work correctly. But the ones in my post do work and you should be able to see them. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | |
| |