The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, Peggy M, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 69 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1611688 09/20/2026 2:13 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
I’m wrapping up the engine swap, late fifties 261.
While installing the driveline back onto the trans, new cork rings, new paper spacers, Tires sitting on the ground.
I notice that the ball doesn’t quite line up side to side at the transmission by about 1/2 “, It pulls into place with a small
amount of side muscle. It seems cocked off to the left. I looked at the axle mounts at the springs
thinking they could be knocked off kilter, but the shackles that mount directly to the axle and the springs, I think are dowelled
in place, so I doubt they could move out of place. Unless a dowel sheared off, but unlikely.
I really didn’t notice this when I disassembled it the last couple of times.
I’m thinking might be that the frame is tweaked out of shape.
Anyway, it pushes into place and bolts up, and probably will run fine like that,
just puzzling over it.


~Charley
1954 Chevy 3100 with 235
“Bud”
Follow along in the DITY
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,651
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,651
I remember mine being a tad to the left also. I checked the torque tube mounting and then loosened all the engine/trans mounts and made sure the engine was inline with the torque tube. All went together OK after that.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Thanks for the word. I think I’ll try that loosening the rear motor mounts.
Transmission, 420, just hangs.
Front mounts are not tightened yet.
I’ll check in later,
Charley


~Charley
1954 Chevy 3100 with 235
“Bud”
Follow along in the DITY
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,651
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,651
On my transmission mounts, the first ones I had were more square and they were wider. My frame cross member slants up where the mounts sits. So, I found a different transmission mounts that was a little narrower and I think that worker better for my situation.
Attachments
IMG_0616a.jpg (113.61 KB, 53 downloads)
IMG_0619a.jpg (142.37 KB, 53 downloads)


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
Alright


~Charley
1954 Chevy 3100 with 235
“Bud”
Follow along in the DITY
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
The mounts on the left (left part of the first pic) sure look like AD engine mounts. Likely different than the ones for '46 trucks.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,813
The crossmember with the angled area for engine mounts is for a 1954 or later frame. It is used with a different bellhousing than the one with the vertical mounts in your picture. Somewhere along the way there has been a mismatch between the crossmember, the bellhousing, and the motor mounts. It looks like someone has modified the crossmember to use the earlier mounts, and probably drilled the holes a little off position. That will result in some misalignment between the transmission and the torque tube, and possibly a vibration problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0