The '47 and I made it home safe and sound about 3:30 this afternoon. That old iron never missed a beat in my 670 mile round trip!! I ran into rain shortly after I crossed back into Iowa, heavy at times. The vacuum wipers and defroster did me proud...
Special thanks to Steve (hosting, facilities, camping), Don & Vicki (delicious food & cookies), Dan (event organization & everything else), and Kevin and Mark (fantastic tech sessions). I certainly learned a lot and I'm sure the other attendees did too. This was an excellent opportunity for me to connect with my Bolter friends and make some new friends for sure!!!
Sorry for the delayed response here folks. Kinda spent last night and most of today recovering from what was a GREAT event IMHO!
Pictures will be coming (at least from me) in the next couple of days. I need to get them transferred from my phone, cleaned up and titled before posting. Perhaps Steve or Don can post a few in the meantime?
Thanks for the notes to let us know you got home safely and the kind words about the event.
Anyhow, details from the event go something like this:
Friday final setup and informal gathering was busy but a good time. We had several of our more distant travelers arrive, including Don "2-Ton" and his wife Vicki, Mark "59 fleet", Tim "57 Drifter and Andy "HandyAndy". Plus local folks Chris "Rock 49" and Mike "32Fordpuchoptop", as well lending a hand to finish setup and share in the evening. Don cooked up a mess of fried fish, cheese curds and sweet potato fries and we topped off dinner with some of Vicki's cookies. Followed that with just mostly sitting around gabbing and chatting about anything/everything Stovebolt, as well as catching up with old friends and getting to know more about some folks meeting for the first time.
Saturday started off kinda sketchy, with a brief rain shower, but that quickly cleared off, warming up with bright sunshine throughout the majority of the day. 8:00 am the registration table and T-shirt/hat distribution opened for business, with Stovebolter's and guests trickling in over the morning hours. The Swap Meet area also opened for business. 'Bolters that brought their trucks all got a chance to do a show-n-tell session with folks to learn about their trucks and a bit of their stories.
I know at one point there was a gab session going on inside Steve's '54 Bus that includes at least 8 folks, several separate discussions about technical questions on some of the trucks, hand off of new parts for a 261 engine rebuild that's in-progress (my own), as well as some wheeling and dealing in the Swap Meet area. We were also pleased to have Jim Carter come and participate with us. He generously provided discount certificates for anyone present and a pile of catalogs for anyone to grab.
We had a display table for folks to peruse inside which included several Chevy and GMC Master Parts catalogs/illustrations books, original dealer new truck pamphlets for both Chevy's and GMC's, some technical repair/rebuild booklets and several of Steve's 3d printed replacement parts he has done. Folks also got a chance to see one of Steve's unique shop trucks on his 4 post lift as well as all the other cool stuff he has displayed throughout the shop. Last thing of the morning before lunch was an interesting and well presented Tech Session by Mark "59 fleet" on the differences between an ammeter and a voltmeter and things related with how each should be correctly wired in Stovebolt's for either 6V or 12V systems.
You've already seen the primary lunch menu, so I won't rehash that list. Several folks brought extra sides to enhance the feast with home made potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, a delicious chocolate cake and some home brewed tea to supplement our other beverages. As far as I know, no one went away from lunch hungry - hahaha!
After lunch we had some super well prepared and presented Tech Sessions (also mentioned in detail above) by Kevin "Shakey61". As always, Kevin's presentations had hands on components and demonstration things that really helped everyone grasp the topics. I know I learned many things and want to offer a big thanks to both Kevin and Mark for their Tech Session presentations!
Not long after the Tech Sessions concluded, we had inclement weather come rolling in, which caused a bit of a scramble for folks to pack up/load, but all managed to do that without getting soaked. From that point, many folks headed home leaving a few of us hanging around to wrap things up and just enjoy a little more time together hanging out before calling it an evening.
All total we had 24 folks at our gathering, including Stovebolter's, some spouses and various guests/Stovebolter friends. Many thanks to all who helped/attended to make the Roundup the a very fun/enjoyable event IMHO! Looking forward to doing again next year!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
That was a pretty good turnout. Great to see so many smiling faces, some great pictures too.... I love Don's Custom Shirt, now I'm jealous...
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Don't worry Tuts, I'll let you touch it one time at Townsend next year. It is a really cool shirt and Thanks Steve for letting me own and wear a piece of your art!
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
After some tutoring by Steve, I managed to figure out how to create a one link gallery to my pictures from this years event. Thanks buddy! Saved me a tremendous amount of time trying to do this the old way.
I did put captions on each of the pictures, but for some reason the captions don't show when viewed through this public link. Also for some reason it sorted the pictures in reverse, last first etc. To view them in the right order, just click on the up/down blue arrows in the upper left corner of the page and tell it to sort by "Oldest First". Guess I still have some learning to do - hahaha!
BTW - Tim from "Down Under", there is a pic of the "Doodlebug" and "Ralph" in here just for you sir!
Hope you all enjoy!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Dan, I’m still trying out how to post a link like yours and Steve. Can I send them to you so you can get some more practice?
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Dan, I’m still trying out how to post a link like yours and Steve. Can I send them to you so you can get some more practice?
Don
Don - Your attempt to text me all 46 pictures in one swoop kinda failed my friend - Oops. If you text them to me in batches of 10 or fewer pictures at a time, I should be able to capture them and add to the album. No hurry, just send them when you can, or go ahead and post them here through the attachment manager.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Great job on the photos! And I didn't even break the camera!
Thanks Mike! Somehow none of us managed to break the cameras - LOL! Although we have yet to see Don's pictures, so...
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
If this don’t work I’m jumping in he lake all afternoon. Don
Edit: Well, like you Dan, they are in reverse order. I think I will still be jumping in the lake on this 95+ degree day.
Last edited by 2-Ton; 09/17/20264:32 PM.
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Don, If you collect the pictures in an Album then there is a "Share" icon at the top of the album (Looks like a V laying on it's side <) That will open the share options. Click "Copy Link" Then 'Copy Link" again in the bottom left corner. And Click "Copy" and paste that link in the thread. ~Mongo
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
You all have some good pictures there. Too bad we can't string them together. At the very least get, a few posted here with the Attachment Manager. That will help folks who can't or prefer not to use Google.
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Don - Glad you figured it out and thanks for posting your pics link.
Peggy - I'll see about posting some selections through the Attachment Manager, possibly on Sunday.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804 "Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship In the Gallery "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
I consolidated, Dan and Don's pics in my gallery.. Here https://photos.app.goo.gl/eed4mUV5YsTAbFEe7 Why wouldn't people want to use Google Photo's? You shouldn't need to log in to see the photo's. ~Mongo
A one stop shop. Funny how none of us took any pictures of the meals/food. Could it be we were too busy enjoying it - hahaha!!!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
This years meal made last years look lame. Hope to do better next year! Pictures are from last year.
Don
Last edited by 2-Ton; 09/19/202612:02 AM.
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!