Hi everyone, I’m thankful I found this site and this board because I really need to confirm what I have and hopefully get advise on how much to see it for I would really appreciate it. I have several interesting vintage items that came out of an estate clean out of a man that was a mechanic, once owned a parts store and had a junk yard full of vintage vehicles from the teens thru the 70s and barns full of vintage parts! A vintage car builders dream!
I started my research with basic google and AI help that was a bit confusing and not always correct. It did lead me the right direction of it being military because the metal container it’s in is a military ammo storage box.
Some of the things I’m confused and need confirmation is is this also considered a H052/H072 and what does that stand for? Is it for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? What year vehicles and types would use it? What’s a NAPCO restoration? Is it considered posi? And of course what’s the value?
Below is a list of different identifiers in different areas of the carrier. I counted the teeth on the ring and pinion and found numbers on the pinion. There is a big 51 painted on it but AI says it’s not the year but more likely what the navy used to inventory it in an area. And it would have been used on base with heavy duty supply trucks etc. the navy info came from the engraving on the container.
GM 323 AF517 3707340 3652335 * DV8 ?? I’m unsure of DV? D2 I counted 36 on the ring gear and 7 on pinion 3725811 is also on the pinion Also I’m not finding what the ring gear diameter would be?? And the last picture is the info on the ammo box
Hy SandraD, welcome, what you appear to have there is a non posi differential for an HO52/HO72 rear axle, it has the 5.14 ratio. That differential will bolt into differential housings of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks from the forties up to the early sixties, hope that helps and again welcome!
Just an FYI- - - - -that unit, with its very low gear ratio is popular with the 4 wheel drive "rock crawler" crowd- - - - -the guys who run ridiculously tall tires on their rigs to play in the dirt and climb mountains.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Gotcha. I’m so sorry I miss understood. I’m really trying to find accurate information. I think I’m too new to have access to the swap meet area. I really need a board so I can ask what it’s worth. I’ve tried eBay, marketplace, the hamb and searched google shopping. Im assuming that an NOS military differential from the Cold War still in the crate is not a common item these days.
I’ve heard certain sites can be snobby so to speak annd a bit of a tough crowd. and it may be hard to believe but I’m a woman who loves old restoration projects. You will never hear me say to my husband “you spent how much for that original tail light??” I love learning about the history and I totally get the obsession that people get when taking one on. I hope to put it in the hands of somebody that’s restoring an old military vehicle but he finds its hard to finish because of all the over priced parts that sellers are trying to get rich from Are all out of reach.
Sandra, you have just one more post before you're able to receive private messages. I have a car collector / restorer friend Detroit who, along with antique Cadillacs, also collects military vehicles and Fire Engines. She's also a woman.
Make a couple more replies and I'll send you her contact information. She's a member of a military vehicle organization and may be able to help you.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Sandra, contact the MVPA, Military Vehicle Preservation Association. They are an international organization, coincidentally based here in Georgia, that can help you with your parts.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Hi Sandra! I'm the guy who owns this site and I think you did absolutely the right thing is asking your question here. Asking what it is and how much it could be worth are fine questions and helping folks understand what they have and potentially connecting them with people who want/need stuff is what we're here for.
I hope we aren't snobby here. So far, you've been talking to some of the nicest, most knowledgeable folks on the planet when it comes to this stuff and they'll be more than happy to continue helping you out. If there are any other parts/trucks/etc you need help with, by all means. We love that kind of thing. As for being a "tough" crowd ... I think we would like to think of ourselves as being "tough guys" but if you hung out with us, you'd soon see how laughable that thought is ... Except for Rustyrod -- he can be a handful at times. He once physically attacked me in a dastardly unprovoked manner but I was able to take him down. You probably can, too.
Now when it comes time for you to put a forsale tag on those parts and actively try to sell them -- yes, as Jeff said, we'd prefer you did that in our Swap Meet which as a registered user, you have full access to. Dan (GDad's51) can help with that.
So thanks for letting us help! John
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)