I have a 1952 Chevy 3100 with the original 216 engine and the optional canister oil filter . The last two oil filters I bought from my local parts store came with a gasket that doesn’t fit the canister lid. One was a Wix 51100, the other was a Baldwin. The filter seems to be correct. The gasket is about twice as wide as it should be. Does anyone know what oil filter comes with the correct gasket or where I can buy just the gasket? Thanks
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
On my 1950 3100 the oil canister is a Napa Gold 1100. Comes with the seal. Do you have a napa near you? Don't think they just sell the gasket by itself. Todd
WIX and NAPA are the same filters, just with different numbering systems. Some filters come with two gaskets in the package, with different widths. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Can you measure your canister lid and give us an approximate inside and outside diameter of what the gasket needs to be? I have a couple extra gaskets with rough dimensions of 5-1/8" OD, 4-1/4" ID. If these sound correct, PM me your address and I'll send one to ya.
Craig
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
I agree with Forty9. Hopefully a local store has one in stock. If not...........
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Something that might be worth a double check. On my bypass canister lid, there is a recessed grove that the gasket fits into. No gasket “seems” to fit until you work it into that groove.
That might have absolutely nothing to do with your problem, but figured it was worth mentioning.
The NAPA Gold 1100 I used had the correct gasket for my '58 235.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Craig, the dimensions of your gasket are the same as the one that came with my new filter and is correct for the ID but too large for the OD. But I appreciate the offer. My old gasket has an OD of 4 5/8”. I ended up reusing my old gasket but I will check NAPA and see what size gasket comes with their Gold 1100 which I’m guessing is the same filter as the WIX 51100. My local parts store originally sold me a WIX 15039 filter, which doesn’t fit my canister. They then sold me a Baldwin which did fit but came with the gasket that was too big. Thanks to everyone for your help.
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
I also had an issue buying the proper filter and gasket for my ‘59 235. I saved the carton top of the one that fit for future reference.
NAPA part# FIL-2006 and WIX 51006.
I understand WIX no longer makes these for NAPA, so I don’t know if the replacements are the same. I screen printed the specs on the WIX filter that shows the gasket size. Mine came with two gaskets, one that fit and obviously one that didn’t.
At any rate, it may give you another option.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I purchased a number of Luber Finer P70 on closeout a few years ago. They came with the correct gasket.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
BillyDon, I stand very corrected for giving you the dimensions of the incorrect gasket. My error.....BIG TIME!!
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Tyhat's funny because I went out and measured my spare gaskets and they weren't anywhere near 5".
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Is there enough demand for only the gasket? They've used 1/16" thick rubber which means you'll need a professionally made steel rule die cutter and a heavy duty one at that. 1/32" would be much easier to cut. It can be done, of course but I would expect at least 50 to 75 would have to be sold to reach a break-even point...figuring $3 to $4 each or so. Lot of material waste with a gasket like that. If I need to get a price on the cutter just let me know.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
The old ones don't ever seem to wear out or leak that often so just save the new ones that come in the filter pack and keep using the old one till it's no good
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)