The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PAUL Berardi, Jon G, JW51), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1604636 05/27/2026 6:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
Does anyone use a assembly lube for the pistons on the wheel cylinders to help eliminate corrosion/ seizing? What is recommended? I know they say to use brake fluid but my understanding is that dot3 absorbs moisture, so my thought is it just promotes the rust. After sitting the pistons just seize up. I also live on a gravel road where they use calcium to control the dust which may add to the corrosion. Thanks

Last edited by 46chevinline6; 05/28/2026 12:04 AM.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
They do make an assembly lube. You can buy it at most parts houses. You can also just use brake fluid. There is nothing that I know of that will top corrosion or rust in the cyl's other than a fluid flush every few years.


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Brake fluid is the only thing recommended, use no silicone or petroleum based products. I have not researched a specific lube but if FAST55 says there is something, it could be true!


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Used to be under the McKay name. But still made by the same company. Been using it for 42 years with no issues. Airosol Assembly Lube.

Joined: Feb 2026
Posts: 21
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2026
Posts: 21
Thirty years ago when I did the initial restoration on my '38 half ton pickup I used Silicone (Dot 5) brake fluid. Silicone brake fluid does not absorb moisture. I have had no issues with my brakes in all that time. Maybe a little pricey initially but I have not had to do a flush or replace parts. However Silicone brake fluid is not for everybody.

Glen


1938 half ton pickup
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
I found some DOT compatible grease meant for assembly of internal lever body and caliper parts of Avid hydraulic disc brakes for bicycles. DOT 3 is DOT 3, same fluid for a car or a bike. So I bought the last two tub of it that my parts vendor had. It's a soft kinda like lotion consistency grease, the closest analog to the little capsule of assembly lube that used to come in NAPA wheel cylinder kits way back when.

It's meant to control rust and corrosion on mountain bike brakes, a particularly muddy and moist environment, so I don't see why it won't work on a wheel cylinder too.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0