| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (greenie-reddy),
101
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,380 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 181 | Working on a 55 GMC 630 with an Eaton floating rear axle/Dayton wheel setup. Mainly I'm redoing the brakes (just the hydraulic cylinders, not the shoes which are good). When reinstalling the hub/drum assembly, it does not seem to go on quite far enough (I'm talking about 1/4"). The only thing on the hub I replaced was the oil seal, and I'm quite certain it was seated fully in its bore (it's in until flush and had a different sound when seated). I reused the bearings - they are fine. I installed the hub once, thought there might be an issue, pulled it off, checked everything, and re-installed - same thing, looks like it should go on a bit farther. What I'm gauging this on is that the final lock nut lands a bit beyond the axle tube, and the drum to backing plate gap is a bit wider than the other side of the axle. The shoes were backed off all the way - no binding when the hub is spun by hand. It's possible that the seal is not slipping over the landing, but when I took it back apart, I didn't see any distortion or such. Your ideas would be much appreciated!
1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,990 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,990 | New grease seals fit pretty snug on the spindle, do you have a new seal that you have not installed in a hub, try fitting that new seal on the spindle first before installing the seal in the hub. It sounds like you have the wrong seal or you just need to push a little harder to get it on the spindle.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 181 | You are right and thanks for the quick reply! WHOOPS on my part, I just figured out that I purchased the wrong seals. The original seal number is GMC 2226530, and my earlier research led me to National seal #370019A - but my double checking this evening led me to SKF #45150/National 415351. The difference is a 4-3/8 shaft diameter vs. 4-1/2. I try to be careful with part # cross referencing but I goofed up on this one!
1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,990 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,990 | Glad you discovered it before any damage was done, good job!
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | |
| |
| |