Not sure what years of GMC/Chevy cabs would be the same as my '42 GMC. Are there any reproduction drip rail? Looking ahead for parts I'm going to need. They're not rusty, just smashed pretty badly.
G508 - As far as I know, the drip rails from any 1941-46 GMC or Chevy truck cab should fit your '42 GMC cab. A quick search of vendors shows no one currently offering replacement drip rails for 1941-46 Chevy or GMC trucks.
Your best bet is probably going to be finding a donor cab with intact drip rails I think.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Understood about your truck being a WWII GMC CCKW. To the best of my knowledge, the '42 has the same basic cab structure as found in commercial '41-'46 GMC and Chevy cabs.
Here's a screenshot from a reported G506 GMC (1st pic) and a non-military 1942 GMC 1-1/2 ton. As far as my eye can tell, the general cab construction is the same, unless I'm missing something? Always interested in learning something new.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
It would be worth a try to make a backing type tool like a dolly to get behind the drip rail and see it you can hammer and dolly it straight again .It would be just as much work to take a drip rail off without to much damage then take the one off the truck you are working on then to re weld the one back on.
You could opt to just remove the old drip rails and move on. I did that with a '52 custom build and I really liked the way it looked without the drip rails.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
But what if he doesn't wanna get dripped on in a summer rain? Kidding, but seriously yes I would also find maybe a piece of steel that's the thickness of the width of the drip rail, then hammer it back to straight using the piece as a dolly.