The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, 53 green 1- ton, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy, Jon G), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
My first truck I had before joining this wonderful community back in December 2020. I always wanted one of these trucks and although, when I got it, it was painted black. The last thing I will do is paint it. it looks good from a distance.

First thing I did was yoink the 327 and had it rebuilt. The wiring was a rat's nest so while that engine was being tore down, I went to work on the other things.

The truck had a plywood bed and tank behind the seat. Just kinda wrong for what i wanted. I definitely wanted more room in the cab and seats that would adjust for leg comfort. The gas tank relocation for me was the first thing to tackle. That went well. 8AN fittings all the way. No Apache emblems -- that will change.

I put in custom seats, carpet, steering column, new back window. I replaced vent assembly. Put in a long leaf pine bed. Replaced tailgate. Back bumper. Chrome instead of aluminum wheels. All wiring. It had front disc brakes with stock rears. (Still does.) Front leaf springs. radiator. M-22 Rockcrusher. Radio. Headliner. Exhaust.

Other than that, it's all stock -- rearend / differential, frame, driveshaft.

What is nice is that I can compare performance and driveability with the 1959 Panel (see my signature line for that story) which is exactly the same setup only with a M-20.

Here come the pictures.
Attachments
DSC_0001sd.JPG (218.93 KB, 362 downloads)
DSC_0014zz.JPG (310.96 KB, 357 downloads)
IMG_8316.jpeg.jpg (190.02 KB, 359 downloads)
ttyur.JPG (314.38 KB, 357 downloads)
ttre.JPG (236.12 KB, 361 downloads)
truck1.jpg (190.54 KB, 359 downloads)
engine clean.JPG (235.65 KB, 359 downloads)
bedty.JPG (246.38 KB, 358 downloads)
2ser.JPG (176.19 KB, 353 downloads)
11sd.JPG (164.4 KB, 349 downloads)
Cluster is a mix of old a new gauges


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Great looking truck! Very nice upgrades really added to the truck!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Thanks. One of the best upgrades to the engine was to replace the HEI and getting rid of that mickey mouse belt system. The CVF pulley upgrade.
Attachments
guitplayer.JPG (104.69 KB, 320 downloads)
11df.JPG (169.23 KB, 250 downloads)

Last edited by Guitplayer; 02/25/2024 12:07 AM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
Nice entry to the DITY Gallery. I agree, your upgrades look great. Do you know any of the history on your truck?


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
I have watched your previous posts for a long while. What you have done is much the same plan I have for my '59. Great looking Truck. thumbs_up

Last edited by TUTS 59; 02/24/2024 1:34 PM.

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I do know some history. When I removed the tank, there was a Pheasant Hunt tag from 1959 in California. I found a 1976 truck registration and my truck used to belong to Roy Neal Tillis of N. Highlands CA.

Had to throw a guitar pic or two in. Musician turned mechanic. grin
Attachments
tyu.JPG (200.01 KB, 304 downloads)
truck8.JPG (206.19 KB, 302 downloads)
me2 (2).JPG (221.83 KB, 301 downloads)
6u.JPG (144.89 KB, 298 downloads)
11223 (2).JPG (234.6 KB, 303 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I can start with the tank relocation. Good quality aluminum frame mounted tank that was easy to install. It sat well and to keep the fuel travel moving downward, I had to cut part of the bedside flange there and bend it up. That area is now level with the bedwood. Padded it and ended up not using a rollover valve because it would only screw in at an angle to avoid the bed wood. It is required to sit up and down.

Ran a 3/8 ID hose up to the top of the filler neck with another right angle hose fitting. Tapped the filler wall for threads. It`ll take gas fine. Not full open like a new vehicle. Finding the correct depth sending unit and OHM. The mechanical fuel pump worked fine pulling fuel from that distance.
Attachments
tankw.JPG (209.76 KB, 279 downloads)
fill3.JPG (165.63 KB, 279 downloads)
gasw.JPG (119.78 KB, 276 downloads)
apache blessing.jpg (86.37 KB, 276 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,420
I've read many of your posts and have always liked the looks of your truck. Stock height and six lugs. 👍 That makes it even better yet.

How many gallons does your tank hold?

John

Last edited by baldeagle; 06/18/2024 5:05 AM. Reason: Fixing broken emojis

~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
The tank is only 14 gallons. The tank mounted back does add weight where needed.

It handles extremely well. I was lucky enough to have Jeff Kendall help me. (Yeah that Jeff -- he owns a shop close by former (NASCAR) who loves these old trucks.) He did the dual exhaust setup and set the toe on this truck. He drove this truck and I mean scared me!!! I had just put the M-22 rockcrusher in. With me in the passenger seat, he moved that clutch like I had never seen before. I say again: scared the mule out of me.

While driving he said, "This truck drives good." I told him I got lucky getting everything right with what limited tools I have. I think then he saw the look in my eye and apologized for scaring me.

The truck can take it. That was about six months ago.

Recently with this good weather and the need to get out, I drove to get some food at the pizza place. Let's put it this way: I have a 2018 GMC 4WD 2500 Black I bought new with only 15,000 miles on it.
Attachments
tanke.PNG (473.62 KB, 255 downloads)
tint2.JPG (309.83 KB, 253 downloads)
jeff kendall.JPG (73.46 KB, 253 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Just noticed the tail lights mounted to the rear fenders, I’m curious. Could you post a picture of that please?


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Sure, those are Vega tail lights. Have some driving videos to share. Here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2k18pn_jH0 and here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4am-s8sxhzk
Attachments
vega.jpg (19.21 KB, 296 downloads)
kk (3).JPG (73.43 KB, 296 downloads)
EditedImage (10).jpg (289.36 KB, 299 downloads)
a1aa.JPG (214.98 KB, 297 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Todays pic of the engine. Everything is staying clean. No leaks under the truck.
When I got rid of the Holley carb the vacuum changed for the front brakes.
I put about a foot+1/2 of smaller diameter tubing in the tube for the brakes to carb. Carb side. That did it.
Restricted the vacuum enough to where is was not so sensitive to the foot.
Attachments
eng 2024.JPG (202.33 KB, 273 downloads)
eng 2024.JPG2.JPG (171.09 KB, 270 downloads)
eng 20244 (1).JPG (222.56 KB, 269 downloads)
eng 20244 (2).JPG (276.61 KB, 270 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
can`t make that happen again. low rider on the radio as I head out
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwgTRieUSlE

Last edited by Guitplayer; 04/13/2024 10:06 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
That WWWWHHHHRRRR M-22 Rock crusher working
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlDaMu1Fcdg


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967

Last edited by Gdads51; 05/13/2024 10:15 PM. Reason: fix link to display and function correctly

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
This truck and my other 327 in my panel.I have from the beginning ran them with 160 degree thermostats.
If I remember the change happened from 180 after I got this engine back and just did not care for how hot the engine would get.
Probably normal and not overheating, but you could not comfortable having your arm on the hood cowl there at the rad.
It was transfer heat from the rad. So for the past years ,I`ve had a 160 in there. Fast forward to about a month ago ,I switch on a whim to a 180 degree.
Same thing again. too hot. Promptly switched back. Back to normal temps. Engine runs fine. Great really.
I check the heat with a gun, so I know exactly what its doing. It runs at 170-175 at the rad. with a 160 thermo.
Attachments
radw.JPG (239.69 KB, 144 downloads)

Last edited by Guitplayer; 06/29/2024 12:23 AM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I was driving this today. What an unreal vehicle!! It really handles well. Not fast at all .
kinda. But the feel of it. Unbelievable. Having a truck drive like this having done all the work is a great feeling.
All stock cept the power steering and front discs engine and trans.I cannot imagine a truck driving better than this.
Attachments
EditedImage (10).jpg (289.36 KB, 126 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I don`t drive fast, but I had this today crusin at 75 mph. Surprisingly ,there was much more throttle
and top end at 75. It would be my hope that everyone's truck out there drove as well as this one. KOW

Last edited by Guitplayer; 09/07/2024 11:14 AM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
all 3
Attachments
double.JPG (356.97 KB, 59 downloads)

Last edited by Guitplayer; 09/10/2024 1:25 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Some good reasons to relocate the gas tank on these trucks. One of the best is putting more weight
to the rear of the truck. At least on this SWB with wider tires, it helps I think with the way the truck handles.
The tie rod upgrade from original gives more space between tire and tie rod end.
Attachments
tank3.JPG (235.3 KB, 109 downloads)
58.JPG (128.1 KB, 109 downloads)
82272.jpg (282.84 KB, 109 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
First truck bath of the year and drove to the lake. Got photo bombed by a deer.
Attachments
12a.jpg (50.72 KB, 89 downloads)
12q.jpg (428.2 KB, 89 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,980
BD - Looking good! thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
these two spacers 4 inch total got the fan within 1 inch of the RAD.
It will hold up paper at idle. thumbs_up
Attachments
spacer.JPG (194 KB, 62 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
This was under the fuel tank inside. 1959 California Pheasant License Tag.
Attachments
try.jpg (34.11 KB, 44 downloads)
tyu.JPG (200.01 KB, 44 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,669
I always like finding things when not expected. When I was taking my truck apart 20+ years ago, I lifted the floor mat and found a new pair of 1949 Wyoming license plates being used to cover the battery access hole.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
The name on it is H.D. Buchannon


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0