The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
I have read through the two latest oakie bushing posts, but unfortunately mine is an issue of going in, not coming out. My '46 1/2 ton pickup, the new oakie bushing will go into the torque tube about 25%, then it bottoms out solidly. I understand that it is an interference fit and being snug is a good thing, but this is way beyond snug. The videos from Jayhawker mention him turning down the oakie on a lathe. I do not have access to a lathe or machine shop. However, my plan is to jig the oakie on a bolt, pin it between washers and nuts. Mount the bolt in the chuck of a drill press and spin it against a flat sanding surface or a file. I don't have the means to measure the inside of the torque tube so I pulled my measurements from the original oil seal and the original front bushing piece, It looks like I need to take .0095 off the new oakie. Oil seal was 1.6935 and new oakie seal end is 1.703. The front of the oakie, brass bushing end, falls within the specs of the torque tube to slide in. When milling the oakie down to size would you turn down the threaded section of the bushing along with the smooth sections of the tube? My thinking is that the "threads" on the okie are fine enough that they would collapse as they are driven in and create a secure fit.

Thoughts and suggestions on my process are very much appreciated.


"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
It's possible that the rear shaft bushing is hung up. Normally it can be pushed back to allow the oakie bushing to go all the way in. I just watched a video of someone trying to put an oakie bushing in a 35 Chevy car and he had a problem with a washer behind the seal that was up against a shoulder in the torque tube that was not letting the oakie bushing go all the way in. He had to remove the rear axle/torque tube and get the washer out which allowed the new oakie bushing to go in far enough. Maybe you can use a piece of pipe that will slip over the driveshaft and drive the bushing back into the tube. Did you drill out the pin holding the rear bushing?

The oakie bushings for 1950 earlier trucks that are held in place by dowels I believe are smaller diameter than the later ones that just depend on the press fit. Maybe it's possible that you got the wrong bushing and is too big for your torque tube.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
I found the threaded part was the part that needed to be filed down ,I see in your previous posts you have the old bushings take a measurement of the old ones to compare with the oakie .check the yoke to see if it fits also .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
I found the measurements from jayhawker video that I took a picture of for a comparison to give you a idea of the size but the oakie could be different size depending on who made them ,also added a few pictures of the driveshaft ,I think the older shaft is the darker oily one ,the 3 oakie one being the one were I filed down the knurled area and picture of the yoke that did not fit one oakie went partway on another .So I just emphasize that the oakie are not all the same and maybe even some tubes can be different so measure the best you can because it is hard to get out .I also did mine in the winter and had the bushing out in the cold then used a heat gun on the tube when I smacked it in .
Attachments
(4.9 MB, 112 downloads)
IMG_5260.jpeg (231.93 KB, 82 downloads)
IMG_5257.jpeg (188.72 KB, 81 downloads)
IMG_4640.jpeg (194.75 KB, 81 downloads)
IMG_5259.jpeg (267.12 KB, 81 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
Old bushing from jayhawker 1.721 front rear seal end 1.705 ,the new bushing he put in started as 1.730 front and rear seal end was 1.718 .The picture I tried to attach above loaded but did not show up now shows is to big .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 51
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 51
Bigedpa;
Your method is worth a try. I would not try to take all the metal at one time.My bushing went in part way and then a lot of pounding.I put the bushing in the freeze for a day, then tried to heat the tube with a heat gun. Be careful pounding as in my case the yoke would not slide in. With the suggestions from posters I was able to finially get the yoke to slide.
Dave

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,664
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,664
I was lucky to have a retired machinist friend up in Salt Lake and he turned my new bushing down to match the old one. I measured where the old bushing was located in the tube and it did not interfere with the new Okie bushing. So I left it in the tube. It was a tight fit though.
Attachments
IMG_8975a.jpg (85.87 KB, 65 downloads)
IMG_8971a.jpg (80.04 KB, 64 downloads)
IMG_8967b.jpg (95.07 KB, 64 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 02/20/2026 1:00 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
Thanks everyone. There is no interference from the old rear bushing as I removed everything from the TT. As its winter here in Pa its been cold in the garage so I have the okie in the freezer and the heat gun on the tube. Kevinski, thanks for the measurements. This will be a process of trial by thousandths..


"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0