I'm doing a brake job on a '50 3100. I can't get the bolts out of the wheel cylinder to remove it. I can't use a box end wrench because the block that the brake line screws into is in the way. An open end wrench just slips off. I've used PB over the last two days with no success. 1) does anyone know if that block unscrews so I could gain access to the cylinder bolt with a socket? 2) Is it safe to use a torch on the bolts, given the gas tank isn't too far away and some small amounts of brake fluid would be close as well?
There should be a bolt holding the block for the brake line on. Take that off to get access to the wheel cylinder bolts. You'll need to remove the brake line anyway to remove the wheel cylinder.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I would disconnect the brake line and drain it and move it away from the backing plate. Disassemble the wheel cylinder as much as possible and clean as much brake fluid out as you can. Heat the wheel cylinder from the front side, near the bolt bosses, try the bolts to see if they can be moved.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Thanks for the help guys. I was able to move the block and get access to the bolts and with a socket they came out fairly easily. It's good to know that if necessary I can use a torch.
che - Glad the help offered by fellow Bolters was a success. Thank You for coming back and updating on what you did and how it worked out. That leaves an info trail for other Bolters to read and perhaps help them out too!
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Starter wrench. The only thing that works on one of my starters.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.