The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1594023 12/11/2025 6:46 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
Today, I was putting the hood back on my 1940 pickup. In the process, I managed to break my beautiful original hood ornament. Please don't ask me how, I'm sick enough over it. On this model, the ornament is used to support the front of the hood, and provides a pivot point for it. My question now is: Is it practical to try to repair it. I feel pretty sure that it can't be welded, I'm wondering about brazing, silver solder, or JB weld. I dont know what kind of metal these were made of. My guess is it's only slightly above pot metal. Anyway, your help or advice will be very appreciated.

Last edited by Mike Burns; 12/11/2025 6:47 PM.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 377
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 377
Sorry about your breakage. I looked on eBay and saw one there. Hopefully yours can be salvaged.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
It depends on where it's broken how much success you might have in fixing it. If it's in a low stress point, JB Weld might do the trick, but likely not if it's in a higher stress point. Drilling a couple small holes in each piece so they match at the break and using a couple of steel wire pins with the JB might do the trick.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
Thanks, I figured that a pin or two would add a lot of strength. I guess at this point, I don't have much to loose. Plus salvaging things that appear to be unsalvagable is one of my favorite things to do. We'll see how it goes.


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
A picture of the part is worth a thousand words.
JB weld has gotten me out of some serous binds. It is the only viable way to repair pot metal. Welding, soldering, brazing, soldering are out of the question.
Pictures of your broken part and a description of where the stresses on the part will be would be helpful for coming up with a plan of action to fix it.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
The only problem with JB Weld would be that you couldn't have the part chrome plated.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
I was going to repair my eagle ornament base but found another one. I researched Muggy Weld products.


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 278
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 278
Wow, I just looked at Muggy weld.
From soldering pot metal , and lots of other things.
Very interesting.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOovzoNxpcQ

Last edited by klhansen; 12/13/2025 2:26 AM. Reason: removed embedded video

~Charley
1954 Chevy 3100 with 235
“Bud”
Follow along in the DITY
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Does it work on pot metal and does it take chrome plating?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 380
I don't want to hijack this thread, but there seem to be very few 1940 trucks among the Stovebolters.
So, while several folks are seeing this thread, I would like to ask if anyone has experience with the various reproduction hood ornaments for the 1940 pickup?
There are some that are "paintable" for under $200 and the chrome units are around $400 and up.
How is the quality?
Were all of the originals chrome?
Are the 1939 and 1940 truck ornaments the same?
Thanks!


Nick
1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project
(with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame)
Taos, New Mexico
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
Factory chrome plated them. Hot-rodders paint them.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,105
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
The only problem with JB Weld would be that you couldn't have the part chrome plated.
Even plastic can be chrome plated, but it's probably beyond the average chrome shop's capabilities.

@52Carl, according to the Muggy Weld video, their pot metal welding (soldering?) rod can be chrome plated. Looks interesting.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
I'm aware of the chromed plastic but don't know of a place that does it or that I would trust to do it.

I have experience with Muggy Welding and it is perfect for pot metal. I don't have firsthand knowledge of a Muggy repair being chrome plated but Muggy claims that it can be chrome plated if the repair was made with Alloy 1 low temp solder.

By the time you go through all of that expense and rigmarole however, you may as well just cough up the dough for one of the reproduction hood ornaments.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
Nick, I do rebuilding and restoring of mostly 1936 and older GMC radiator caps, I have a few restored caps that rang in price from $400 to $1000 and rebuilt ones from $300. Since I can't control chrome plating costs nor the cost of aquireing a cap, I price them to at least break even.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
I had no idea there was any way to fix pot metal. I once tried and failed to solder it.. good to know!


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island “chrome plates” plastic and has been doing it forever. It’s a vacuum type of process, very different than plating metal. You can trust them.


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 48
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Mike34
Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island “chrome plates” plastic and has been doing it forever. It’s a vacuum type of process, very different than plating metal. You can trust them.

Can they "chrome" 3D- printed emblems, ornaments, etc? Actually been wondering about this for a while now as that specialty has taken off.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
I guess it's the same as the so-called chrome trim on modern vehicles. It's really a mylar type product that is glued to the plastic grill and assorted trim pieces.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by stoveboltgator
Originally Posted by Mike34
Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island “chrome plates” plastic and has been doing it forever. It’s a vacuum type of process, very different than plating metal. You can trust them.

Can they "chrome" 3D- printed emblems, ornaments, etc? Actually been wondering about this for a while now as that specialty has taken off.

My guess is yes. Give them a phone call and ask.


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0