The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, 46 Texaco), 146 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1587644 09/18/2025 12:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
We purchased the box and in installing it's hard to define if the box outer opening goes inside the dash opening or under dash opening flange.
The attached photos are from YouTube video screen shots, Not ours.
These show the the glove boxes fitting under the glove box opening.
Well what's my problem? My issue is that when we took the glove box lid off it didn't have a box, but there was what I would describe as a glove box retention "ring" or surround and it has dimpled / countersunk screw holes. Furthemore, if the glove box is suppose be installed under the glove box opening (as shown) the shown retention screws wouldn't thread into anything since the glove box is cardboard, unless the they installed U shaped nuts for metal screws.
Attachments
IMG_8785.jpeg (150.54 KB, 109 downloads)
IMG_8787.jpeg (128.72 KB, 107 downloads)
IMG_8786.jpeg (210.28 KB, 107 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
The YouTube picture is of a later model AD than yours which does not use the retaining ring.
I am pretty sure that you can use the later model glove box in your earlier truck. The glove box for the later truck has metal nuts in them for the screws. You won't need the retaining ring. Save the ring in case a 100 point resto guy needs it.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
Thanks 52Carl. I just found in my 1929-1948 Master Parts Catalog, page 581 an exploded view of the cab and it shows the "Molding" for glove box, item 16-111, 19/32 by 36 long Chrome. But I'll go with your and install metal U shaped nuts and delete the retention ring.

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
Well I was finally able to fit this aftermarket glove box!!!!! It does not look pretty but with the glove box door closed no one will know (so he said.) I forced the box to fit the I.D. glove box opening and converted U-Nut to flat nuts and taped them to inner glove box flanges (top & bottom.) That allowed me to fit and fasten the box in the opening. as to the old glove box trim I'll keep it and in due time I'll make one that will cover that ugly cardboard box edges that I caused.
Attachments
IMG_8812.jpeg (132.37 KB, 71 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
What'd you cut that cardboard with, a tomahawk?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
Maybe a piece of flex panel edging might clean that up nicely….or paint it black….
Can the cardboard edge go behind the steel opening to hide that edge (instead of over it)?

Chuck

Last edited by Hanks custodian; 09/21/2025 12:19 AM.

Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 256
You are correct, the box should fit under the glove box opening flange. However the darn box’s shape doesn’t conform to the shape of the opening and my efforts to make fit under the flange is what caused the damage to the box’s edge. So I had to resort to installing it in the opening, I really hated to do that.
Yep, flex tape may be a solution.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I seem to remember many years later that I had to install my glove box by coming up from under the dash (did I remove the heater to make more room?) and into the the opening's flange?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0