Can anyone tell me what springs on the bench seat are required to make that assists the seat in sliding back & fro? Classic Parts of America sells a spring defined as (1947-54) Seat Handle Lock Return Spring, is this the one? Does it require two or one (one at either sides.)? 1929-1948 Master Parts Catalog, Section 11.878, page 509 shows a spring #11.582 but I. dont know if that is the Classic Parts of America is selling. I can't see any similar springs on our bench seat track assembly.
The Seat Handle Lock Return Spring Classic Parts sells appears to be the one that assists with the latches that lock/release forward/rearward motion of the seats in the tracks. The correct GM springs for the seat adjuster latches (1 for the left track and 1 for the right track) from what I can tell is under Parts Group 16.682, GM# 3685105.
Its listed as having a 7-11/16" free length (unextended length).
Your Master Parts Reference is for the passenger car seat and components. Parts Group 16 applies to trucks.
Looks Like Classic is only showing 1 in stock where you need 2.
FYI the picture below is a screen grab of a set of Dynacorn repop seat tracks that show the springs on both tracks. Just for visual reference. You might take a look at your local hardware stores like Ace Hardware, etc. that frequently carry springs like these and take your tape measure to see what you may find.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
52 Carl, I've been able to locate on our seat track assy the springs you call out. However, our springs are good to go. The springs I should have made clear which ones they are, are found on Page 1-15 / 1-16 fig 32, and are the Seat Assist Springs (item F) in 1948-1953 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual. These assist spring I've not been able locate them in 1929-1948 Master Parts Catalog. Fortunately I think I've found one one spring which I know not how I misplaced it in our junk pile. I installed the spring and the seat moves a lot smother. The spring has 51 coils and its 8 ⅛" long, see photo.
Interesting. A while back I wrote instructions for repairing/rebuilding the seat sliders and they were supposed to become a Tech Tip however I don't know if that happened. The seat works great now, however. As I recall one spring was broken or missing and I just got a new one from the springs drawer at the hardware store. It was just a plain old spring but it fit and worked okay. I would attach the instructions but they're larger than 5mb. Please send me an email at [email protected] if you want them.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
@TexasA&M48Truck Thanks for the pic and dimensions. My truck was missing those springs and my intention was to get some at the hardware store, but was at a bit of a loss as to dimensions. The seat moves without the springs, and it's unlikely I'll need to have the seat anywhere but the rearmost position, but I'd like to install them just for completeness.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Kevin, after doing some research I was able to find that spring are sold by Classsic Parts part number 28-945 and they are 12 inches long. However, using the spring we installed (8.5" long/51 coils?) did highly improve the seat sliding. We too will be purchasing these 28-945 for conformity.
Here is a link to where Jon G posted his repair instructions.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum