The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
'So unless one of the previous owners of my truck didn't know what they were doing, the front motor mount is different than the '37-later. Or at least oriented differently. I'm just looking to verify with you guys how the '36 front mount is actually supposed to be.

You can see one of the pictures that my mount was attached to the bottom of the crossmember, not the top. There is only the retainer and the rubber piece with the molded-in bushings. There are no top plates at all. I know the very top plate was added later to protect the mount from oil, but I don't have the other one either. Just the retainer and the rubber piece. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I installed a new rubber piece and reassembled it, and it does stick up a bit above the crossmember. You can see this in the other picture. Is this all there is to the '36 front mount? Seems like this would wear down quickly, but maybe that's just how it was.

The part number for the rubber insert is the same for '32-55 according to Filling Station. Jim Carter sells a complete replacement kit that they say is for '37-later. I'm assuming it changed to being mounted above the crossmember in '37?

I could probably buy the whole kit and mount it above the crossmember, but that would lean the engine back more, which may not be a problem.
Attachments
20250730_181748.jpg (215.85 KB, 131 downloads)
20250730_185509.jpg (174.72 KB, 131 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
I searched through Stovebolt and couldn't find anything to answer your question. A little wider web search found this VCCA thread on a front 36 mount.

It kinda sounds like the mount in your picture is where its supposed to be. My 1929-46 Chevy Parts Book only lists the front rubberized mount (GM# 3657520) and the mount retainer (GM# 368449) as the only front engine mount components for your '36. It unfortunately doesn't provide a location on where it's mounted. Top plates are specified for '37 and later vehicles. Perhaps another '36 Bolt owner will chime in here to help answer your question?


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
The front mount on my 36 is in the same position as in your picture, underneath the crossmember.

Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Thanks again, Dan. Looks like it's just that simple. I'll go with it and keep an eye on it for wear. Maybe I'll come up with a modification if I need to but at least now I know it's correct.

Last edited by RBs36; 07/31/2025 5:42 PM.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Just happened to be watching "Snowking55" on YouTube and he talks about the front engine mount in the first couple minutes of this video.

View the video here.

Last edited by Phak1; 08/01/2025 2:22 AM. Reason: Removed embedded video

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Thanks John. That's further proof that it is indeed supposed to be mounted under the crossmember. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Ron

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I started watching his 1936 truck videos. It's helped me a little on my '46.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
One other question...Are the motor plate bolts supposed to be 7/16" or 1/2"? My 207 has 7/16" bolts but the holes in the rubber mount are 1/2".

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
RB - The only "front mount bolts" I found listed in the 1929-41 Chevy Master Parts books are all 7/16" diameter. No mention of any 1/2" hardware.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Dan, that's what I thought. I suppose the bolts are supposed to float inside the 1/2" sleeve in the rubber.

Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
There was a nos motor plate for sale on eBay a couple months ago. It appeared that the square part of the carriage bolts was swaged to the front motor plate making all one assembly. Seeing the pictures made sense since I was unable to install one of the bolts with the balancer pulley in place.

Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
That's how they are on my 207 as well. For the 235 I plan to just tack weld the heads in place.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
For my '60 235 front engine mount, I went Aussie on it. I couldn't get the carriage bolts to squeeze by the motor plate, so I installed bolts from the bottom side.
Attachments
IMG_9419a.jpg (91.76 KB, 33 downloads)
IMG_9423a.jpg (89.93 KB, 26 downloads)
IMG_9409a.jpg (99.46 KB, 26 downloads)
IMG_9449a.jpg (71.09 KB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 08/07/2025 3:41 PM. Reason: Changing last pic to show flat washers.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0