The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, Oswald, klhansen, John Dlugos, 1 invisible), 277 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
Saw this on a local-ish FB ad. I’ve never seen these with the extra casting that bolts up to the bottom of the intake.

Is that an early design?
Attachments
IMG_3234.png (2.11 MB, 184 downloads)


1951 3100
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
That is a unique design. I wonder why they didn't continue with it?. What was the seller asking for it?


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
I think the heated ones are actually later than the unheated design that is most commonly seen. I recall reading that on the HAMB. I can only speculate why we only get the unheated ones as repops these days.

The heated design came in a 216 bolt pattern and a 235 bolt pattern to mate to the intake manifold. I have a set of each as well as unheated ones, though the 235 sized ones are going to a new home next week.

I'm curious to know what they're asking too. I see them posted in the $800-$1200 range when they show up, though obviously I don't know what they actually go for on FB or eBay when there's a best offer. (I got a REALLY good deal on my 235 set, so the friend who's buying them is also getting a good deal.)

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,686
He was selling in a large lot with a bunch of other eye-candy/go-fast stuff. He wanted plenty of money. Let me see if I can find the link.

Mods might decide this eventually fits in the “Other Online Sources” thread.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I actually have a set of those. There is actually a good story that goes along with them but I would need beer to loosen my tongue.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,396
Alright, you baited the hook... we're waiting.. dang


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Mine
Attachments
PXL_20210314_201951690~2.jpg (82.29 KB, 97 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
How is the heat riser flapper addressed with those manifolds?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
It doesn't appear that these have any kind of heat riser valve to manage the heat going to the intake manifold. Could be why the design was changed as continuous heat to the intake would have the same effect that a stuck flapper on an original manifold would have, causing poor engine performance. headscratch


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
EBS!!! That is gold!!!


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
EBS - Is that last set in your stash from Nicson? They look like pictures I've seen of them, but don't see the name anywhere.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Gdads51
EBS - Is that last set in your stash from Nicson? They look like pictures I've seen of them, but don't see the name anywhere.

They're Clark headers. They're stamped sheetmetal welded up at the seams.
Clark headers
Clark Advertisement
There is also a type, I assume made by the same Clark company that are cast iron and have the name in raised lettering. I've only seen one or two pictures of them. I've seen a couple sets of the sheetmetal type in person, including the one I own. I've never seen any on a car nowadays, though I've seen vintage pictures of them in use.

A company called Smith-Reisor also made a similar set that had manifold heat. I saw a set for sale on Instagram a few years ago, misidentified as Clarks.
Smith-Reisor Advertisement
Smith-Reisor blurb Hot Rod Magazine Jan 1954


Here are what Nicsons look like. I *think* Nicson only made them for GMC.
https://oldchevytrucks.com/blog/2014/02/fenton-vs-nicson-headers/

Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 07/31/2025 12:52 PM.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0