The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (FishinToms53, Otto Skorzeny, 3B, FAST55, Rusty Heaps, MickeyP, pauld, Forty9, 2 invisible), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,628
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1580805 06/24/2025 8:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
I have just rebuilt a 1954 235 engine and everything is going well except for a rattling sound in the oil pan making a racket around 1300 rpm. The engine runs great with 40+ oil pressure and vacuum above 20 pounds
I checked everything on the bottom of the engine and everything is torqued properly and is solid except the oil pump screen pick-up. The oil pump is from a 1956 235 and has a movable screen that rotates freely through around 10 degrees.
I suspect this screen is causing the rattling .
Has anyone had this problem before?

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,898
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,898
I've never heard anything like that before but I'd pull that pan tout de suite. You don't want the oil pump falling off while you're driving.

Does it sound like something loose rolling around in there or is it a a vibration?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
I have pulled the pan a couple of times looking for the cause of the rattle. Everything is to torqued and is solid except that oil-pick-up screen which will move freely up and down a few degrees. Is it suppose to be free like that?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Use the carburetor idle speed screw to set a steady fast idle speed that causes the noise to happen, and disconnect spark plug wires one at a time. I'd suggest pulling the wires at the distributor cap instead of the plug- - - -less chance of getting bit by high voltage that way. If the noise stops, or makes a noticeable change when a specific cylinder is disabled, go looking for a loose connecting rod bearing or a cracked piston at that position.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
Hi Jerry,

The engine is running on all cylinders and sounds great except for that rattle. I checked all rods and they are at torque and solid along with new pistons.

Is that oil pick-up screen suppose to be completely free through a few degrees like that? If so, wouldn't they make some noise?

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,898
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,898
'd still pull the plug wires one at a time and see what happens.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 42
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 42
Any chance the baffle inside the block by the road tube has worked its way loose?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
The oil pan was in bad shape when I started and the front baffle is missing. The rear baffle is solid.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
The floating pickup is correct for some late model engines. I don't remember exactly when the change was made, but it was somewhere in the late 1950s, I believe. It shouldn't be rattling under any circumstances. Is the screen in the pickup able to flow oil freely at higher speeds (not restricted or clogged)? You could temporarily lock the floating pickup with a piece of stiff wire or a hose clamp to positively eliminate it as the source of the noise.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
I get strong oil pressure at all temps and RPMs so it is flowing oil freely.

I do have the engine on a stand and am listening to the engine very carefully. Maybe the noise is nomal. I will give it a shot to lock it down just to make sure thats causing the sound.

Thanks Jerry.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
I found my problem. The timing was set too advanced.

I had used the vacuum gauge method to set the timing by :

-Run the engine to 2000 rpm

-Set the advance to max vacuum reading then retard the timing until the vacuum reading drops 2 lbs.

That certainly did not work for my engine. Way too advanced.

This came up to me when I was sleeping last night. This does not reflect well to me as I do my best thinking when I'm sleeping.

All is well again.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Setting ignition timing by vacuum is about as accurate as:

Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with an axe!

An Innova delay flash timing light is well worth the one time cost, especially if you melt the pistons on a couple of engines making a SWAG on timing! On at least a dozen dyno runs, I've discovered that one degree too much ignition timing robs as much power from an engine as 5 degrees retarded from the "sweet spot".

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
bosco24 - Glad you got it figured out! Some of my best thinking is done like yours. wink My problem is "will I remember it in the morning" - LOL! not me


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with an axe!

Yes , I learned that the vacuum meathod is not the way to do it. An Innova delay flash timing light is on order,

By the way, why does a 1954 235 have the timing mark at 2 degree after TDC verus 5 degree before TDC for 1956 and later 235s?

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
On your timing question, the factory timing is different between the years and also the location i.e., Canada. But there are other variables. First, is the flywheel original to the block? What part number is the distributor you are using?

By the way, 55-57 pass car oil pump pickups were generally not the floating type. Fixed to the tube. Always exceptions although I was always under the impression the floating type was earlier. 55-57 was one part number, 58 was another, 59-62 was another. I would have to check my 59 parts catalog to see if the trucks got different pans and pickups.


Mike

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0