The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Ponchogl, JW51, IHPWR), 98 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
I've researched here and elsewhere pulley/balancer sizes for 235's. What I THINK I found is that the '53-'54's used a smaller diameter 3/8" wide pulley, and the 216's used a smaller diameter 5/8" pulley than the '55-up 235's. (please correct this if I'm wrong) But what I haven't been able to find is exactly what the diameters measure. A smaller diameter balancer MIGHT alleviate a problem for me.

My engine is a '59 with larger diameter pulley. This causes a possible problem for me on several fronts regarding my plan for a front motor mounting solution. The 235 won't drop right into my '36 like they do for a 216 replacement. The front motor plate ends up 1" shorter than my 207 if I keep the rear mounting position the same, which I need to do in order to have water pump/radiator clearance.

I am considering 3 solutions. 1.) fabricate a 1" offset to weld to my front plate to reach forward to the stock front motor mount location 2.) Fabricate side mounts 3.) Move the front crossmember 1" rearward and fabricate a new radiator mount to keep it in the correct position.

The problem with solutions #1 and #2 is my pulley may hit the crossmember And even if it doesn't, I may not have clearance to change the belt without jacking up the motor, as the pulley would be too close to the front crossmember.

So I'm wondering if changing to a smaller diameter balancer/pulley would solve this. I'm reluctant to move the crossmember for reasons I won't bring into this post, but I'll go that route if I have to.

Last edited by RBs36; 06/23/2025 6:38 PM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
A 216 balancer should solve your crossmember interference. It has a 5'8" pulley
A '59 235 has a low water pump which will not be centered in the radiator. It has a large 1/2" pulley and too long of a shaft. Not ideal
You can install an adapter plate to the front of the block to relocate a 216 water pump with a 5'8" pulley in the center of the radiator.
A 5/8" pulley can be installed on your generator or alternator.

Last edited by 52Carl; 06/24/2025 2:32 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by 52Carl
A 216 balancer should solve your crossmember interference. It has a 5'8" pulley
A '59 235 has a low water pump which will not be centered in the radiator. It has a large 1/2" pulley and too long of a shaft. Not ideal
You can install an adapter plate to the front of the block to relocate a 216 water pump with a 5'8" pulley in the center of the radiator.
A 5/8" pulley can be installed on your generator or alternator.


Thanks Carl! I am definitely leaning toward the water pump relocation plate, and if I go with a smaller diameter pulley, I'm definitely going to go that route. Originally I was going to just make my own short shaft pump, as it's easy enough to do. But after much consideration, I'm leaning toward the adaptor plate.

Right now I have to decide what I'm going to do for a front motor mount. I'm assuming you mean the 216 balancer is 5.8"? If so, that's over an inch smaller than my pulley, so that gives me 1/2"+ more clearance on the bottom. I think a 5/8" belt is about 1/2" deep, so that might give me just barely enough room to change belts. I just might be able to get away with keeping the crossmember where it is, but need to put some more thought into it to be sure.

In the meantime, I'll start searching for a 216 balancer, as I will need that for the water pump conversion anyway.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
He's talking about the width of the sheave, which is 5/8", not the diameter of the pulley.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
He's talking about the width of the sheave, which is 5/8", not the diameter of the pulley.


OK, I wasn't sure. I need an exact diameter of the pulley if anyone has the measurement.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
A 216 water pump with the pressed-on cast iron pulley can be machined to remove the belt sheave and converted to accept a bolt-on stamped steel pulley. You're not limited to that scarce and expensive narrow belt 216/early 235 high mount pump. A sheet metal pulley for a small block Ford V8 (289, 302, etc.) is the right size and close to the right offset. I've made that conversion on a few occasions.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
He's talking about the width of the sheave, which is 5/8", not the diameter of the pulley.


OK, I wasn't sure. I need an exact diameter of the pulley if anyone has the measurement.

Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2023
Posts: 327
Found the answer to my own question on Pre '68 Dave's site.


http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/search/label/Water%20Pump%20Relocation%20Adapter
Attachments
Harmonic Balancer List edited.jpg (306.44 KB, 31 downloads)


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0