Is it inside the steering column? Probably the horn wire.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Ding Ding Ding! Otto got this one in a whopping 5 minute turn around.
The other end is attached to the underside of your upper mast bearing assembly as that also functions as part of the horn circuit.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
OK - Thanks! Not sure how it connects to the horn though? Anyway, on the other end of the steering shaft that sits inside the cab and attaches to the dash, is this U-bolt supposed to be twisted? I guess it doesn't hurt anything and no one will see it.
Last edited by UtahYork; 06/07/20254:38 AM.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
I think it should be flat like the other side. But it will probably still work OK. Likely a nut froze up when someone was trying to remove it.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
A little heat and a bit of straightening would fix it if you so desire. Double nut the threaded side, Get the twisted part cherry red and untwist it with a wrench. Once close you can finish flattening it with a hammer on an anvil or your vice.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I agree with Kevin on the frozen nut removal idea. The twist is the correct direction for the flat to turn when trying to remove the nut. On your horn wiring question, best to continue that conversation is in a new post in the Electrical Bay.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Are those your 2025 license plate stickers stuck on your vise?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Yes. My vise is registered, but I need to get proof of insurance! 😜 I just registered my cars and trailer in May. I cleaned off the old stickers and just stuck them there. They went in the trash this morning since I was going to heat up the U-bolt like Phil suggested. I thought maybe the stickers were going to melt, but the heat didn't get close.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!