The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Southerntruck, fonz8261, Hotrod Lincoln), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1578276 05/27/2025 4:03 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 190
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 190
Wondering what type of oil to use in the shock absorbers on this 3/4 ton Chevy. Is it some type of hydraulic oil that should be used? This is the first time I have messed with this type of shock and I want to make sure I do it right the first time (wishful thinking). If anyone could offer a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tom

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
If you are talking about lever shocks? I rebuilt my lever shocks this past winter and I'm using Johnson's Hydraulic Jack Oil I picked up from O'Reilly's. I'm sure there are others out there.
Attachments
Jack Oil 1.jpg (9.31 KB, 47 downloads)
IMG_9223a.jpg (130.79 KB, 43 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 05/27/2025 4:20 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
ATF is also recommended for knee action shocks.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
You could also use motorcycle fork oil, comes in different weights.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0