The thing I like about it is the variety of pre-1964 only cars/trucks and the fact that they are not all cookie-cutter designs. Instead of 80% small-block Chevy engines you see nail-head Buicks, blown Olds, Y-block Fords, 1st gen Hemis and yes, even a Stovebolt or two.
I'm stopping in on Saturday, then continuing on to Houston to go to a tour of Tony Gullo's car collection that my son-in-law set up for me on Sunday. We'll be going in his 396 Camaro.
Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 04/19/20252:30 PM.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
I will be there. Our group of 8-10 cars/trucks will have two 216s and a 235 present for the inliner fans, and one AD and two Task Force trucks for the pickup fans. We'll get there Friday afternoon and be there all day Saturday.
Bill, we might be set up in the same area as last year on Saturday, or we might be a little north of there down in the trees. It gets tough parking in an orderly manner in the trees, but that's where the rest of the club has traditionally liked to hang out. I liked the open spot on the hill we had last year better. My truck will have the easy-up tents in it, so maybe I can pick again... lol
Call/text me Saturday when make your way to the west side of the show. Will be good to visit again.
Well, if anyone reading this didn't make it out, you missed a great show. The weather cooperated (in east Austin at least) despite what the forecast said all week for Friday afternoon. Saturday was beautiful, as was the drive home on Sunday.
Met up with Bill, had a good time chatting and catching up.
My little truck performed flawlessly. I'm convinced that a T5 and a Carter YF are the two best things you can do to a 216 nowadays.
Once I've uploaded all my pictures to my Fotki album, I'll post a link.
Thanks for loaning me the tailgate seat Eric. I was beat from walking around. I was there for just under 4 hours and I saw about 1/3 of the estimated 3000 cars/trucks. Very few trailers parked nearby.
My favorite is still Bombshell Betty. Lots of not SBC engines. Blown 1st gen Hemis. 8 Strombergs on a Nail-Head Buick. 302 with triple carbs in a '48 GMC 1/2 ton. Y block Fords. A lot of flatheads, some with Ardun OHV conversions. Some of the cars are show quality, but the majority are drivers. Almost all had up to date license tags. None newer than 1963.
I had a hard time getting pictures because the sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen on my camera. The Travis County Fairgrounds is 128 acres and this show took up a lot of it.
If you are anywhere between Houston and Big Bend, Dallas and Brownville you should go next year.
I'll attach appropriate (ie. Chevy, GMC and a Divco) pictures to this and the next post and then see how much Chris (ndkid275 - the moderator) will let me get away with on other brands.
Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 05/06/20251:35 AM. Reason: spelling
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
... more, and a few ringers. The red one is a 47 Hudson pickup with an amazing wood trimmed dash. Lots of mid 30s to '41 cars like this Mercury. The Olds is the first year V8 and has a swamp cooler hanging on the passenger's window.. The full fendered deuce coupe had a Y block Ford.
Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 05/06/202512:18 PM. Reason: additional info
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Friday morning travel from the Houston area to the show grounds in Austin, the Los Cochinos "One Night Stand" party Friday night in Austin, the show Saturday, and traveling home on Sunday.
Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 05/08/20252:56 PM.