The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (NJC, Gdads51, joe apple, 3B, 3800GUY, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,367
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1575141 04/15/2025 1:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Hello,
There is no welting whatsoever on the front fenders of my '57 Suburban. I am going to do some work on them (rust), and I would like to mount them back the proper way.
Should there be welting on the fenders? Is it really needed?
What is needed? Looking at shops online, there is a variety of different rubber parts, different shapes and length, but I do not see what goes where?... Is it all needed?
And what about rubber bumpers on the hood or fenders, are there any?
I want to specify that my Burb is not really clean, a good-season daily-driver, and not stock. I am not looking for welting for looks, but (maybe?) for metal protection/avoiding squeaks?...
I also see some people use some sort of strip caulking instead, any thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited by wave1957; 04/15/2025 2:01 PM.

'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,828
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,828
Fender welt wasn't used on the previous generation of trucks( AD) so I seriously doubt that GM used any on succeeding generations.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
As previously mentioned it wasn't used. Actually if you want to avoid rust and decay, please avoid welting. It prevents the area from draining well and harboring moisture and dirt is not a good thing. I would not use strip caulking either. I would just make certain the area where the fenders mount is painted well. Paint will help to keep them safe for a long time.

As for rubber bumpers, there were rubber bumpers on the underside of the hood (where the hood contacts the front panel and also along the sides. As I recall, there were either 8 or 10 of them used. Those should be replaced. Good luck!


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Thanks guys!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0