The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, TUTS 59, Gdads51, TooMany2count, 2 invisible), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,348
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157447 12/08/2005 7:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
I have been thinking about setting up an old dishwasher in my shop for washing smaller greasy parts. They do well on dishes and I would think that the soap and hot water would remove grease pretty well to. Has anyone tried it?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
rdbates,

I haven't tried it, but I think organic grease is more soluble with temperature, and washes off, while greases from petroleum products don't solubilize as readily with hot water.

I would be careful putting items of this nature into a non-explosion proof environment. I could see the timer on the dishwasher going from wash to rinse, and in the process igniting the vaporized mixture of petroleum products (grease) and sending the dishwasher into the neighbors backyard. smile

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
Just my 2cents worth. The timer is outside of the washing area. I do not think you could create an explosive environment inside a dish washer, by washing automotive parts. Commercial hot tanks are nothing more than a large dish washer. They use lye as a cleaning agent. Lye is not a problem to buy and it will solubulize - nice word - automotive grease very well. You can buy liquid lye at home centers, it is the purple cleaner. It is the ultimate degreaser for ferros metals. Do not us on aluminum. I do not know how it is for foaming, which is a concern for dish washers. I know commercial parts washers use an anti foaming agent to control foaming.

Oh, by the way, wear protective clothing. Lye eats flesh with ease.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Lonnie,

I wonder if the lye would solubilize (it is sort of a cool word) the dishwasher? grin grin Your right about the arc-n-sparkin...the switches would be outside and safe!


Stuart

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 42
You'll be making a homemade version of this:

http://www.cudausa.com/

We installed a boatload of them at my work & they work well.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
Thanks guys. I might try it since it would sure beat scrubbing parts in the solvent tank.
Atomarc: I'd kind of like to see a flying dishwasher. I wonder if the Myth Buster guys would try to launch one grin

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
rdbates,

Just a note to explain, sort of, my defective reasoning with the flying dishwasher. The superintendent of a mill I worked at years ago did hobby wrenching at his home. He wore coveralls, and his wife would wash them in the machine located in the laundry room attached to the back of the house.

After one particularly greasy weekend job, this fellow decided to help his wife out, and he soaked the dirty coveralls in a pail of gasoline.

The wife came behind him, fetched the coveralls from the pail, let them drip for awhile, then threw them into the washer. I'm pretty sure you can figure the rest out.

As the machine filled with hot water, the cloud of gasoline vapor laid on top of the rising
water. When the machine was nearly full, the vapors were being pushed up and out...and being heavy, floated down...right to the motor.

When the machine switched to its agitate mode and the motor kicked in, the laundry room wall blew out...so much for doing your own coveralls! eek

Stuart

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Quote
Originally posted by TooMany2count:
sounds like the gene pool wasn't cleaned for a few days...joe
Me thinks the gene pool needs another shot of chlorene. What a story. It's amazing to anyone with any mechanical/industrial experience at all to think there are people that are so ignorant of gasoline's properties.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
joe,

I agree with you, but "sh** happens". eek eek


Stuart

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
That's quite a story. You would think that the wife would have thought about it a little before she did it. I have heard of putting a cup of jet A in with greasy coveralls to clean them- just not in your own washer because it melts the seals. I'll bet the firemen had a good laugh and then a disapproving head shake. D'Oh

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
Not to change the subject BUT
How about the guy from Queens a few yrs back that had trouble starting his car in the cold weather.
So he takes and puts a qt. of GASOLINE in a POT ON THE STOVE to Quote "Warm it a Little" eek eek
Needless to say it was quite the show when The FDNY rolled up, and the Jacka&# was still alive

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I know a fellow who rebuilds steering boxes and uses a small oil barrel with a hot water heater element in the water and loads of dishwashing soap to clean the steering box parts. He has a board on top of it and every now and then, it'll will burp a bubble or two out. He says it works better than anything he has ever tried.

He keeps it outside the back of his house.

So - "you know your a redneck if you keep your parts washer outside the back of the house - so it can burp!" grin

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
My grandma was severly burned several years ago while washing my grandfathers coveralls in her conventional washing machine. He had been overhauling an old tractor and soiled his coveralls with diesel and grease. She put them in the washer with some other items and when switching cycles the residual vapors ignited as she opened the door on the top of the machine. Warning stickers are now found on new appliances with regards to washing items with flammable materials on them.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0