The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Maybellene, LAJones48, Gazz), 129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,482
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
I just picked up a 72 C60 that’s been cut and shortened to fit a regular sized bed. It’s got the original big block 366, Clark 282 transmission, and Eaton 17221 rear axle. Since it’s all original running gear, the rear leafs are massive, and its got no shocks. It rides really, really rough. I’m brainstorming now how to modify the rear suspension. What have others done? Trailing arm set up? 4 link? I’m looking for ideas.
Attachments
IMG_0429.jpeg (398.01 KB, 111 downloads)
IMG_0426.jpeg (406.91 KB, 113 downloads)
IMG_0473.jpeg (334.24 KB, 111 downloads)


1950 GMC 1/2 ton - complete frame off restoration
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
I just popped on to this site - haven't been on here for quite a while as life interrupted my project. This post came right up top and fits my questions perfectly so I'm adding my request for advice as well. I'm just looking at removing a couple leafs from the front and rear to soften things up a bit while adding shocks to the rear. More specifically, which leafs to remove. I have replaced the axles with those from a P3500HD so things are a little bit lighter on the rear of mine. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think both of us could benefit from like ideas.
Attachments
IMG_6568.JPG (66.84 KB, 104 downloads)
IMG_6569.JPG (54.61 KB, 102 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
My first question would be, what's the intended use of the truck?

Air bags might be an option...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I run a fleet of trucks. I phased out spring ride and went to air ride almost 40 years ago. Even with air ride something that short on 20" wheels is going to ride rough.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Years ago, I would sometimes add every other leaf for height. For an alternative, wondering how well it would improve if you took out every other leaf.


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
It might help, but the old springs just don't flex like modern ones do. If it were mine I would get springs out of a modern 3/4 ton both front and back and just make them fit. If you want it to sit up higher, put some blocks between the axle and the springs. I know quite a few ranchers that put a weight in the back of their pickup to make it ride better and then remove the weight if they pull a traile.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0