The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,075
Posts1,056,279
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157069 03/04/2003 10:26 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Well, I acquired an old jack. Picture is located HERE . It was found under the seat of a 52 Chevy pickup. The handle (flat piece of steel) has the GM logo. Only numbers I can find on the jack appear to be casting numbers (base = C263, rachet handle = C542).

So what do you think? Is it really a GM jack (the handle is made for the jack and the GM logo looks real)? Is it a Chevy jack? According to my Master Parts Book, 1929-1954, Chevy had three models of jacks, two were axle jacks and one was a bumper jack. There was a 3000# capacity for all Commerical vehicles, pn 3690652 and a 7000# capacity for all Utility vehicles, pn 609909. I don't think it is the 3000# capacity jack, I think that is the one cmayna was discussing here on the stovebolt a week or so ago. Here's the picture of HIS . Could it be the 7000# axle jack (I really don't think so, but hope springs eternal grin )? Maybe a jack from pre-1929? Any other guesses?

Regardless of the original application, its a great little jack (13" to 18 1/2") and I'll definitely keep it with my 53 3/4t Chevy.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I don't know about your monster jack, but the other one was in Chevy pickups in at least the 60's and seventies. Had one in our 64, 68, 69 & 74. 3,000 lb was about all it would lift under ideal conditions.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
Jeff, I've got a jack very similar to yours. I got mine from my Dad, who got it from his dad, who supposably brought it home from the rail road. :confused: Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to verify this with my granddad. I'll have to check mine more closely for any numbers. The handle is long gone, so I can't help with the GM logo there. Just a few weeks ago, I saw a jack of identical design, just 3 times bigger, in an antique store in Franklin, N.C. The tag claimed it was from a Mack truck. Believable? Anybody's guess.


Michael Zaic
Dahlonega, GA
52 GMC 150
48 GMC 300
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i've seen those before. some on 30's and 40's big trucks. i've seen them on g.m. military trucks too. as i remember the military trucks had a larger base. don't hold me to it, but 10,000 lb. capacity. cool

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Jeff,
Your jack looks real cool. Maybe you should join it in one of those robotic wars events.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,601
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,601
Grampa has a jack just like that.years ago I used it a lot on some of the old cars and trucks I brought home,pretty stout jack too.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
I think I saw one like that at Hershey and it was supposedly for a 1929-31 AA **** Truck.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
That is a Fjord AA jack. The original handle would have been about 2 feet long with a square hole for the brake adjusters. I've been looking for one of those for my dad's 1930 AA 1 1/2 ton stakebed.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jeff I still have the jack that 2-ton was referring to. It Has the same casting numbers that your jack has on it. I got out of a 1946-8 GMC ton & half.It will pickup 5 tons or more.I remember the jacks that Henry put in his F*rds. This is a much better made jack


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0