The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wayne67vert, Otto Skorzeny), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
Anyone used a modern equivalent (Industrial Supply?) for replacing front drum brake bearings? What I have are New Departure 909801/909701 outer bearings, will check the inner later. Just wanted to see if anyone has replaced them with a modern equivalent. I know you can get some from dedicated AD truck suppliers but they are an arm and leg, but some other antique car forums have suggested trying Industrial Bearing Suppliers where they are as much as 1/4 the price.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,104
I've been wondering that as well. There's a bearing supply house here in town that I think could cross them over. I have a set of the ball bearings from a 1953 3100 that they might be able to get dimensions from. I just haven't had the inclination to do that, as the bearings on my truck are doing OK. I think part of the issue is the inner bearing has an extended portion where the grease seal runs. It might be possible to replace that with a simple spacer of the right dimensions.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
I have pulled the bearing out of mine and cleaned with diesel to get the 75 year old grease out. The brake cylinders were gummed up with rust also and not working, so I thought I would look at replacing them since I was this far in…

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,323
Look up some previous posts the numbers are in some of them,would need to double check though.
Attachments
IMG_5994.png (356.1 KB, 98 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,659
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,659
I have a '46 and those are the numbers on my bearings too.
Attachments
IMG_9165a.jpg (176.79 KB, 94 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 02/10/2025 2:01 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
The AD bearing dimensions are fairly oddball. I’ve looked into it. Best I can tell, the only available modern roller bearings were made for this very purpose.

You don’t necessarily “have to” source from specialty vendors. These were produced many decades ago, and NOS examples are on eBay. There is some cross over to other GM vehicles (I can’t remember if it’s inner, outer, or both), so these aren’t as scarce as one might assume.


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,475
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,475
The "R" in 909052R and 909067R specify a ROLLER type aftermarket bearing. The original parts were BALL type bearings with numbers of 909052 and 909067. Nothing wrong with either type as long as you use the proper adjustment procedure for the bearing type.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0