Hello everyone I have finished putting in the rear seal in my SM420 thanks for the information it made it so easy. Now I would like to do the front seal any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
Depending on the year of transmission there may not be a front seal. Don't park facing down a hill. Check out the differences on the Novak SM420 transmission page.
Last edited by Gdads51; 12/19/20244:55 PM. Reason: ad link to Novak page
Thank you for the website.. mine does not take the seal awesome.
Mike
Now you just have to figure out where all that oil is coming from!
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Hello Otto I spilt it all over my work table when I took of the back plate to tap out the seal lolI have a mess to clean up now.
The new gasket worked great no leaks, all the gears are smooth and the two ball bearing were very nice, I gave it a good cleaning out when I took the drain plug out. Thanks for all the help It sure makes a difference
Mike, that's probably a better question for Kevin. My truck is a 3 spd. I have no experience with the 4 spd.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
The pilot bushing is the same for either 3-speed or 4-speed transmission.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
If you wish the Novak website has an upgrade to a newer model with seal .It involves purchase of a new cover and the shaft will have to be sent to them for machining were the seal rides. My origional 4 spd had a few broken pieces inside and I was lucky to have from years ago not knowing it but a spare from a 1967 chev truck that has the reverse light and the seal up front .
Last edited by KEVINSKI; 12/20/20242:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
I did the Novak conversion on the front seal of my Muncie. Best decision I made considering it’s the only part of the trans that doesn’t leak. The shop who did mine was horrible.
I have the earlier trans with no seal. So far as I can tell the front seal has never leaked despite being parked nose down on a fairly steep hill for months at a time.
The rear, however started leaking when the splines got loose. I tried a speedy sleeve on the yoke but eventually ended up replacing the yoke, which also cured an annoying vibration. They are NLA new but I found an NOS one on ebay.
1951 3800 1-ton "Earning its keep from the get-go" In the DITY Gallery 1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.