The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nick in Manitou, klhansen), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,315
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
Hello everyone I have finished putting in the rear seal in my SM420 thanks for the information it made it so easy. Now I would like to do the front seal any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike
Attachments
IMG_3502.jpg (314.01 KB, 91 downloads)
IMG_3503.jpg (363.31 KB, 90 downloads)

Last edited by mikeg1955; 12/19/2024 10:31 PM.

1955 second series 3200
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
Depending on the year of transmission there may not be a front seal. Don't park facing down a hill. Check out the differences on the Novak SM420 transmission page.

Last edited by Gdads51; 12/19/2024 4:55 PM. Reason: ad link to Novak page

1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
Here is the page from Novak
Attachments
IMG_5837.png (1.07 MB, 90 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
Thank you for the website.. mine does not take the seal awesome. I posted a couple pictures all I need is a knob and of course the install.

Thanks again.

Mike


1955 second series 3200
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
No ribs on mine.

Just looked at you 54 GMC very nice I had a 55 first series loved the truck for many years almost the same color.

Merry Christmas


1955 second series 3200
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,844
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,844
Originally Posted by mikeg1955
Thank you for the website.. mine does not take the seal awesome.

Mike

Now you just have to figure out where all that oil is coming from!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
Hello Otto I spilt it all over my work table when I took of the back plate to tap out the seal lolI have a mess to clean up now.

The new gasket worked great no leaks, all the gears are smooth and the two ball bearing were very nice, I gave it a good cleaning out when I took the drain plug out. Thanks for all the help It sure makes a difference

Mike


1955 second series 3200
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
I have a question Otto is the pilot shaft at the end whereit goes into the bushing


the same size in. the Muncie 318 as the SM420 it looks like it is. Thanks Mike

Last edited by mikeg1955; 12/20/2024 12:20 AM.

1955 second series 3200
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,844
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,844
Mike, that's probably a better question for Kevin. My truck is a 3 spd. I have no experience with the 4 spd.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
The pilot bushing is the same for either 3-speed or 4-speed transmission.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
If you wish the Novak website has an upgrade to a newer model with seal .It involves purchase of a new cover and the shaft will have to be sent to them for machining were the seal rides. My origional 4 spd had a few broken pieces inside and I was lucky to have from years ago not knowing it but a spare from a 1967 chev truck that has the reverse light and the seal up front .

Last edited by KEVINSKI; 12/20/2024 2:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 228
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 228
I did the Novak conversion on the front seal of my Muncie. Best decision I made considering it’s the only part of the trans that doesn’t leak. The shop who did mine was horrible.

Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2024
Posts: 126
Thank you Kevin I was leaning that way it just looked the same

Mike


1955 second series 3200
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
I have the earlier trans with no seal. So far as I can tell the front seal has never leaked despite being parked nose down on a fairly steep hill for months at a time.

The rear, however started leaking when the splines got loose. I tried a speedy sleeve on the yoke but eventually ended up replacing the yoke, which also cured an annoying vibration. They are NLA new but I found an NOS one on ebay.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0